Author Topic: water bottle, cleaning etc  (Read 2934 times)

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
water bottle, cleaning etc
« on: March 31, 2006, 06:06:51 »
Because the windscreen water bottle was covered in an engine bay film, I washed it using ajax and it came up nice and clean and evenly yellow in colour.

Can I apply car wax to it to seal it and make it easier to clean in the future?

I was worried about the engine bay heat, but the bonnet gets really hot and wax is applied there with no problems.
Also the bottle is made of that poly stuff. I am not sure how the wax would go on it.

Any thoughts?

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

n/a

Re: water bottle, cleaning etc
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 06:50:09 »
Hi Bob,
Im new to the list and mainly restore Jaguars. A trick Ive been using for a lone time is to use PPG aluminum cleaner I believe it is DX 533 or equivalent. This is an  acid base cleaner, similar to what your heating and airconditioning man will use to clean out the cooling fins of the house aircon unit. You delete with water as per instructions and let the plastic bottle sit for an hour or so. You can lightly scrub off the dirt. It does remove most of the yellowing try leaving in longer or test results. This stuff works fantastic on cleaning all your chrome screws, I soak for about 10 min and clean with a toothbrush, no more polishing and cleaning out screwheads. Rinse well with water.
NOTE.... use caution as it is a mild acid I use proper ventilation(or outdoors) and good blue surgical type gloves to protect my hands as it will dry up your skin a bit ( gets it real clean though !!! )
reguards,
Carroll Phillips     Top Down Restorations

n/a

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 06:57:23 »
Bob missed your main question, sorry
I would probably leave it as is and just clean it every now and then.You can use a wax and grease cleaner just to get off the engine film or soap and water.
Carroll

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 05:56:59 »
Thanks Carroll

RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 10:41:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by Carroll
....  use PPG aluminum cleaner I believe it is DX 533 or equivalent. This is an  acid base cleaner, similar to what your heating and airconditioning man will use to clean out the cooling fins of the house aircon unit. .....

Hi Carroll,
when you use DX 533 as an aluminum cleaner (rather than a plastic cleaner) do you have to seal the cleaned surface with an aluminum conditioner such as DX 501 ?? Have you used this, or DX 503 which produces as yellowish tint?

Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)