Author Topic: VIN  (Read 4823 times)

n/a

VIN
« on: April 16, 2006, 11:32:41 »
Hi folks,
I am a member of the German site www.pagodentreff.de.
I am desperately looking for the correct VIN No. of my 280 SL I have just bought from California.
On www.vehicleidentificationnumber.com I get the result, VIN not found (or incorrect).
I tried with 113044-12-0137xx which are 16 digits instead of the required 17.
What is the right way?
Hope one of you can help.
Regards from Germany
Dietmar

Vince Canepa

Re: VIN
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 12:08:37 »
The correct VIN for a 113 is 16 digits.  17 digit VINs came later by US law.  That website probably won't work for an early chassis number.

Vince Canepa
1967 250SL
113.043-10-001543
568H Signal Red
116 Caviar MB-Tex

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 12:11:54 »
Hallo Dietmar. It appears that site is for newer cars only. In the "fine print" it says cars from 1981 or newer. Our cars have a 14 digit VIN. Using the VIN, you can find out basic information such as the year your car was produced, which model it is, and whether it is manual or automatic. Of course, most of this you probably already know. This number is located in a couple places on the car. It can be found on the plate on the firewall, and also is stamped just under the venturi/intake manifold on the top of the subframe rail. Maybe more with the 280SL.

For further information about what options your car had, where it was first delivered, and much more, you need to obtain the car's data card. Search here for how this is done.

If you are trying to track down the vehicle's history (z.b. accidents, previous ownership ...) this can be difficult especially in California as the Department of Motor Vehicles keeps this confidential. Hope this helps you some.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

n/a

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 23:58:13 »
Folks,
thanks a lot for the information.
Yes I have got hte data card of my diva... And I have seen that the VIN number on the mentioned site is from 81 and later.
My approach is to try the Carfax information I can get on this car.

So here is the question: Is this carfax report worth trying? Do I get information an accidents, etc. My VIN no is 113044-12-0137xx.
Does someone know on which site I can get an online information with this 16 digit VIN?

Thanks in advance for help.
And you all have big, colored easter eggs :-)))

Dietmar

Vince Canepa

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 05:31:16 »
For one - James is correct - the Chassis Number is 14 digit.  Please excuse my error.

Second - CARFAX will not give you much information.  It is mostly data mined from public records, such as title info.  If an accident resulted in a total loss and the vehicle was later sold with a salvage title, it MAY appear.  On some very new cars superficial service information may appear.  In my opinion, it is waste of time and money for this car.  It may not even be able to find data for a 14 digit Chassis Number.  The site does search for info and will tell you, without charge, if anything is available.  Just don't expect much.  From my experience, used car buyers are placing way too much faith in CARFAX and are not doing proper research before purchasing.

Vince Canepa
1967 250SL
113.043-10-001543
568H Signal Red
116 Caviar MB-Tex

n/a

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 05:44:32 »
Thanks Vince.
Do you know any website where a similar service si offered online? e.g. history cjeck of a vintage car?
Regards Dietmar

Vince Canepa

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 10:46:51 »
No, I do not.  If you think about it, it would be difficult.  The search engine would have to accomodate the wide variety of vehicle chassis number formats, which varied by manufacturer prior to 1981.  Also, the various motor vehicle department records in the good old days were on paper.  Perhaps someone else has a suggestion.

Vince Canepa
1967 250SL
113.043-10-001543
568H Signal Red
116 Caviar MB-Tex

KevinC

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 15:36:59 »
To expand on Vince's comments, we didn't even HAVE vehicle titles back in the '60s did we? I called Carfax when I purchased my car two years ago and in effect, they said they couldn't help me.

Having the historical facts is great but nothing like putting the car on a "lift" and seeing what's what for yourself. Its much harder to hide the bad stuff here.

quote:
Originally posted by Vince Canepa

For one - James is correct - the Chassis Number is 14 digit.  Please excuse my error.

Second - CARFAX will not give you much information.  It is mostly data mined from public records, such as title info.  If an accident resulted in a total loss and the vehicle was later sold with a salvage title, it MAY appear.  On some very new cars superficial service information may appear.  In my opinion, it is waste of time and money for this car.  It may not even be able to find data for a 14 digit Chassis Number.  The site does search for info and will tell you, without charge, if anything is available.  Just don't expect much.  From my experience, used car buyers are placing way too much faith in CARFAX and are not doing proper research before purchasing.

Vince Canepa
1967 250SL
113.043-10-001543
568H Signal Red
116 Caviar MB-Tex

Kevin Caputo
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 07:52:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by Hendrix

I am desperately looking for the correct VIN No. of my 280 SL I have just bought from California.
Dietmar,
The VIN should be factory-stamped on the right front frame rail.  There is a verticle raised seam that runs along the top of this frame rail, and the VIN is just "inboard" of it, if memory serves.  Look below the hose leading from the air cleaner to the venturi unit.  It is difficult to find the first time.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"