Author Topic: brake fuild reservior question (s)  (Read 2812 times)

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
brake fuild reservior question (s)
« on: April 22, 2006, 20:18:41 »
hello, I have a question regarding changing the brake fluid reservoir.  I have a new master cylinder and need to R/R the reservior.

first, does the reservior just pull of the master cylinder or,, looks like the front half of the reservoir has an allen head bolt
at the bottom the may secure the reservior?

also, are there any special seals I need when re installing the reservoir?  I do not want the fluid leaking out of the reservoir onto my new Master cylinder.

thanks in advance
matt
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

bpossel

Re: brake fuild reservior question (s)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 05:53:04 »
Hi Matt,

The reservoir is held to the master cyl with 2 rubber washers.  The rubber washers fit over 2 small tubes at the bottom of the plastic reservoir.  You insert the reservoir, with the 2 rubber washers, into the master cylinder.  So, basically the reservoir is held in place with 2 very tight fitting rubber washers.

When I replaced my reservoir and master cyl, I replaced all (washers included).  I didnt want to take any chances of leaking or brake failure.  I believe that new rubber washers came with the new reservoir.

Good Luck,
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 06:52:48 »
Bob,
thanks for the reply, where did you get your replacement reservior from?  K&K cannot find one for me.

thanks
matt
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

bpossel

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 07:59:44 »
Hi Matt,

I buy parts from many different sources including Millers, K&K, SLS, Gernold, Autohaus Arizona, Buds B, etc...

I believe in this case I purchased the res and master cyl from Autohaus Arizona.

We have many good vendor partners and each provides quality parts and advice.

Regards,
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

A Dalton

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 09:10:41 »
Matt,
 Your Res has a  17mm Hollow bolt in the front res container that holds the res in place .. this is for versions 1 thru 3 .. only the 4th version did not use this retainer system [ [float/sw systems]