Author Topic: bad sound from Becker radio  (Read 5641 times)

n/a

bad sound from Becker radio
« on: April 24, 2006, 13:18:49 »
My radio sounds very well when the volume is low. But when I drive the car, the volume goes higher (turning by myself). But then the sound is not so well any more. Can someone tell me what the problem could be?
The radio is a Grand Prix.

dreyer635

Re: bad sound from Becker radio
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 13:44:06 »
If you have a old speaker? The paper membran can be defective

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 19:32:45 »
I know there have been many posts about stereo enhancements.   I'm a purist and want to keep appearances traditional.   Here's what I've done:

I have two original speakers in the kickplate near the door.   The magnets on new speakers are too big to fit into the holes in the frame, so I purchased new speakers from a later model 450SL on ebay.   They work wonderfully!

I have a Becker Europa.  I'm planning on sending the radio to Becker for refurbishing.   They'll also add a hard wire for an iPod connection.   It's not that expensive.  

Search some postings from Ed Cave in Atlanta where he describes in detail what he did to get his stereo working well.
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 21:16:54 »
The problem could be the antenna, the radio, the speaker, or the wiring.

Seriously, I don't think the speakers are difficult to remove (careful with the wood!) so you could remove it and temporarily place a different speaker on the dash and try that.  No need to go driving to test.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

joelj

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 10:32:01 »
Actually the becker stereo system were never good to beginwith. The radio reception is terrible at best. Like you christie, I am also a purist and live with the knowledge that the sound system in my pagoda leeaves everything to be desired. but thats how they were made andthats how they sounded in the 60's so I keep it just the way it was.

A friend of mine keeps the old Becker but has a more modern sound system hidden under the seat. He has small speakers installed inside the air vents. when he switches the becker on, it powers the modern sound system. He then uses the remote control to change volume, Cd's etc. It sounds great and looks stock.

I am still contemplating if I wnat to go this way. I kinda enjoy listing to the sound of my engine humming away :) that's more music to my ears.

Cheers,

Joel

jeffc280sl

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 13:03:13 »
I experienced the same issue with a reconditioned Grand Prix I purchased from Becker.  The sound was exactly as you desribe.  Ended up installing a reconditioned Europa II stereo.  It looks vintage but I'm not sure the stereo europa was available in 1970.  Becker said the sound would be much better and it is. This model also has the aux input on the rear panel for IPOD or other device.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

n/a

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 14:02:06 »
Thanks for now. I understand that the sound was never very well. And I will try other speakers to test the system.

:)