Author Topic: New soft top  (Read 3513 times)

John C

New soft top
« on: April 29, 2006, 16:21:57 »
Any suggestions on the best place to purchase a new canvas top?  Most of the ads in Hemmings claim that their product is "same as original" but vary in price; are they all made by the same manufacturer and just sold at different prices by different dealers?
Any particular dealer that has better quality and is easier to deal with?  Thanks.

Douglas

Re: New soft top
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 19:15:00 »
Gernold up at SL Tech swears by GAHH. Keep in mind that it's not just about materials. He claims the GAHH top has the best "fit." I remember he said he even worked with them to improve the pattern.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

mal

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 01:24:37 »
I am about to finish the restoration on my 2nd Pagoda and I just installed a soft top that I bought from K&K.  The result is less than satisfactory.
For my 1st Pagoda I used GAHH, and the fit was perfect both for the interior and the soft top.
I highly recommend them.

Malek Mrowa - Beirut, Lebanon.
280SL 71-Light Blue/Blue
280SL 68- Beige-Gray/Black
250SE 66 Convertible-Silver/Red
190SL 61-Ivory/Red

113gray

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 18:14:46 »
Will Samples in Dallas (S&S Imports) is a well known vendor w/ an excellent reputation & a supporter of our hobby. He sells a top (Electron?) that is reputed to be of the best quality & based on having met the gentleman & having him help on several other projects, I expect I would choose his top if/when I replace mine. (I think his contact info is on our vendor page.)That said, the finest top will only look its best if the installer is experienced with these cars. The installer may be more difficult to find than an excellent top!  
-JP- '66 230SL 5 spd.

bpossel

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 18:20:23 »
I had a local Memphis company install mine.  They purchased the top from GAHH.  The fit is tight and seems to be holding up nicely after 1 year.

Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 18:20:44 by bpossel »

hauser

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 21:59:55 »
Gernold installed my GAAH top along with the restoration of the frame.  He also told me he helped in the redesign of the GAAH top for the optimum fit.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 12:22:02 »
Sort of related: are the various screws/bolts available for the soft-top frames? I ask because I have a screw loose. (watch it...) It will not tighten up and I suspect the small amount of play it allows is what is ripping my top as it folds down into case. It seems to cause the top to push outward -- thus scraping against the very sharp seal channel. This also completely mangled my new rubber seal.

Truth is -- I am afraid to get a new soft-top because of this. I will glady pay GAHH for the material, and an installer for the install. But not if it's going to rip on the first fold.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

RBurg

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 13:16:07 »
My understanding is what you pay for is what you get. Purchase one at 4-500 vs 90o plus abd you have no caomparsion in fit. One fellow did the 400 one and ended up because it would not fit repurchased the right one at 900. Price seems to = quality.

Ron - Minnesota
71 280SL Tobacco "O GIGI"
97 E420 Silver Mist