Author Topic: Front Page Photo  (Read 3823 times)

psmith

Front Page Photo
« on: April 30, 2006, 22:42:13 »
I was just wondering about the photo on the front page of this site.  Does somebody want to 'fess up as to who's cars they are?  They all look great, but I was wondering about the color code was for the green one?  It would be perfect for a 280 SE project I have in the back of my head.

Pete S.

Douglas

Re: Front Page Photo
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 23:56:50 »
Bob Geco owns the white car with the black hardtop. That was a gathering of SLs at Bob's shop, I believe. I'll let him comment further.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 02:36:25 »
That's Peter Gick's '67 250sl, sold on ebay last year. It was apparently repainted 'thistle green'. This thread discusss it:
http://www.sl113.com/forums/index.php?topic=4369

DaveB
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

jaxxonia

• Regular
  • USA, CA, Woodland Hills
  • pagodaride@gmail.com
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 19:53:17 »
Hello Pete,

My 1970 280SL automatic is the Tunis Beige Metallic car peeking out of the service bay of Bob Geco's Auto Appearance Care shop in L.A. This picture was taken about 3 or so years ago. I'll try to fill you in on what I can recall about these cars.

In regard to your question about the green car, it is a 250SL that belonged to Peter Gick, who sold it on E-Bay about 3 months ago. Peter had done a wonderful job of restoring the car and had it repainted a light green color that was not original to the w113, but was available on Mercedes sedans of the era. It looked just beautiful.

The red 280SL is a 1969 (?) 4 speed owned by Chuck Lobb of the Newport Beach area. Chuck restored the car to high standards a number of years ago. This car has won many awards and has been the subject of a number of feature articles. Chuck's car was one of the reasons I fell in love with 113's.

Between Chuck's 280 and Peter's 250 is a 230 that belonged to an owner in the San Diego area. I don't recall the name, but I think it was sold soon after the photo was taken.

Tom Cotter who frequents this site owns the car peeking out of the other bay. At the time, Tom was restoring it, as evidenced by the primer on the hood. This car has quite a story behind it (restoration, theft, recovery, insurance litigation, re-restoration, etc.) that hopefully Tom can comment on. I understand that restoration is now finished and, knowing Tom, I'm sure it looks great. Tom owns an independent shop in L.A. specializing in Mercedes & BMW.

Bob Geco's white 1968 280SL automatic is in front. Originally owned by Bob's father (who was an aeronautic engineer), this car has some unique & mysterious modifications that maybe Bob can comment on. Bob, being a purist, is slowly returning the car to original. I met Bob while showing his car. Eventually I hired Bob to assess a car I was considering buying. I must have looked at 50 different 113's. With Bob's advise, I found a good one and am happy to say we are friends.

I have owned my car for about 6 years. I occasionally show it and drive it as often as possible. In 2002 it won Best of Show/People's Choice at the annual Father's Day Classic of the Milestone Car Society. Every winter I attend to a few needs and today the car is in the best condition since I have owned it. The work is never done....like painting the Golden Gate Bridge.

On that day, Tom Hanson was nice enough to join us. Needless to say, we all traded stories, tips, & info. Hopefully we can do it again sometime soon.

Attached are some photos of my car.

Download Attachment: IMG_0001.jpg
64.17 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_0006.jpg
57.34 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_0017.jpg
51.17 KB

Download Attachment: IMG_0083.jpg
56.3 KB

Download Attachment: Let's Go,.jpg
58.35 KB

jaxxonia

• Regular
  • USA, CA, Woodland Hills
  • pagodaride@gmail.com
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 20:10:25 »
Sorry, but I missed one of my favorite photos. Enjoy!!

Download Attachment: IMG_0009.jpg
58.35 KB

psmith

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 22:53:31 »
Thanks jaxxonia and everyone, like I said, great looking cars.  I'm glad you posted that last favorite shot, that's a keeper...but there's something familier about your car

http://uploaded/psmith/20065205840_Pete230.JPG

Pete S.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 23:02:03 by psmith »