Author Topic: breakerless ignition  (Read 6200 times)

Sam SL

• Regular
  • Canada, British Columbia, Vancouver
breakerless ignition
« on: May 11, 2006, 00:39:54 »
I want to do away with my points and condenser setup and switch over to breakerless.  Can someone with that specific experience please recommend a brand of unit for me to shop for?  Sam

Sam
Sam

'71 280 SL  -- Green Queen
82 300D
92 500E
97 SL500

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: breakerless ignition
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 02:33:44 »
Do a search on 'Pertronix' and 'Crane'
There are pros and cons for both.
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 15:15:22 »
For those of you contemplating installation of a Crane XR 700 system, I can send you a .pdf file with a description and instructions written by John Hassell in 2002. (It's too large to post here).

There's also Luminition (or Lumenition as it's also spelled sometimes) and Newtronic electronic ignitions that are sold here in Europe.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 23:01:37 by cees klumper »
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

lurtch

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa
  • " ICON 66 "
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 19:17:36 »
Hello Sam - - I installed a Pertronix unit in my -051 distributor. I have been very please with it so far. Consider getting their matching high performance coil as well. My engine is very fussy about spark plug heat range, so I am also running the hottest plug Bosch makes, a W9DC (non-resistor).

Good Luck, Larry in CA

Download Attachment: components.jpg
11.24 KB

Download Attachment: Pertronix-install.jpg
10.45 KB
Larry Hemstreet  in  N. Cal.

1966  230SL  (restored) Met. Anthracite w/ Maroon leather
1981  300TD-T (Concours condition, 86K, GETRAG 5sp.)
1982  300TD-T (parted out)
1986  560SEC (totaled)
1991  300TE (gifted)
1998  E320 (sold)
2004  E320 wagon (gifted)
2008  CLK550 Cabriolet

Bearcat

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 01:10:02 »
I installed Crane XR700. It is the best decision I have ever made re my 280SL. Gone is stalling, bad ignition, pitted points etc. I did a lot of homework on the subject and Crane for me is the only show in town. It has been faultless.

280SL 1970

dreyer635

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 05:53:57 »
I did also install the Crane CRA700-0231 in my car - less than 2 hours using the PDF Cees mentioned - and the car started up flawless and is running very good. I bought the unit at http://www.sdpc2000.com, make a search for CRA700-0231 - quick deliver at a good price.

I have put the PDF at http://www.privatpc.no/banff/CraneXR-700InstallationTips.pdf

And pictures of the the optical unit installed:
http://www.privatpc.no/banff/Crane001.jpg -
And ready installed in car (under the battery - you have to look closely to se the ignigtion is alterd from orginal:
http://www.privatpc.no/banff/Crane005.jpg

Sl 280 - 69 - 4 speed

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 06:55:57 »
Further to this discussion:

I've put nearly 8,000 miles on my car since the restoration was "completed" in December, 2000.  Of course it's never done.  I've had the Crane XR700 since the restorer installed it.

Most of those miles have been trouble free; problems began a few years ago, and were traced to a disintegrating fuel tank.  That cured last year, ran fine the rest of 2005.  Come 2006 an "ignition" related problem began to appear--sudden death, but quick to recover.

In the past few days I began to troubleshoot in earnest.  What I found yesterday was that my ballast resistor was the incorrect value of .9 ohms; it should be .6 ohm.  Don't know how or where the .9 came from it does not seem to be part of this ignition setup.  This caused a low voltage at the coil + primary, out of spec.  When I installed the proper ballast, the voltage went up to spec.  The tech support department of Crane Cams was helping me on this yesterday.

Perhaps more revealing?  The old .9 ballast, a Beru, was cracked lengthwise down the middle. You can't see the crack when it is installed, but when in your hand looking at the back, it's there.  Further to this, it appears as if the screws that go into the ballast and hold the wires in place are a bit too long; when tightened down, they contact the ceramic--causing stress where the crack is.  Pay attention to detail!  For some reason the ballasts don't come with screws so that's why the wrong size ended up in there.

Don't know if the dying problem is cured.  It was intermittant and simply could have been the Crane box getting a bit hot and the thermal shutoff kicking on, as it has recovered.  But with a cracked ballast and the incorrect one to boot, I can only have improved things.

I got the new ballast and a spare coil, rotor, cap, points (for backward conversion if need be)at All-Euro in Royal Oak, MI.  They are close to me but do most of their business mail order.  Prices were the best I've found.  BTW the "red top" on the Bosch coil is gone, replaced by black bakelite and a RED LABEL on the silver can.  The cost of these parts, including a spare Crane unit, is far less then the aggrevation of getting stuck somewhere, so my trunk has spare ignition parts; backward conversion parts and a spare Crane.  Of course now that they are in the trunk I'm hoping they displaced Mr. Murphy and I'll never need them. ;)   http://www.alleuro.com/

The tech guy at Crane was GREAT.  I detailed my problems in an email; he called an hour later and led me through a voltage checking process that led to the discovery of the ballast issue.  If you have any problems they'll help you.  I've heard similar about Pertronix support, so if you decide to go breakerless these two companies provide the support if you need it.  One thing the tech guy told me to do was to open my spark plug gap on my NGK BP6ES plugs from the factory recommended of .032 to .045.  I have not done this yet but will tackle that soon.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

blairwag

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 06:59:33 »
Hey Sam,
I installed Crane XR700. And, I agree, it was the best thing I've done yet to the car (humm, doesn't say much for what I've done, ey?).  Anyway, the PDF by John Hassell was a huge help. But it wasn't perfect. I did the job, and then posted a procedure to augment John's well written (and illustrated) document. I'll try to search the archive here for it, and post it. I'm certain it can help you even further.

NOTE: I did a lot of research on the 3 popular conversion kits available: Pertronix, Crane, and Lumination. Each have their pro's and con's. I ended up going with the Crane because I've had years and years of successful experience with Allison products (now owned by Crane), and because there was so much more information and advice from others out there to aid in the installation, setup, and use.

So, it's my stong recommendation to go with the Crane. I can assure you, it's a good product, and your call will love you for it.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William Blair Wagner: blairwag@earthlink.net
Education is not always knowing the answer,
...but rather knowing where to look for it!
1971 280SL US Automatic
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~