Author Topic: Oil consumption woes  (Read 10713 times)

DavidBrough

Re: Oil consumption woes
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2006, 12:32:35 »
Hi guys, Well the engine is now out and sitting on the garage floor, Hurrah. However, it was much more fiddly than I thought it would be and I can see it being difficult to put back. The problem I had, apart from doing it on my own, was that the unit kept fouling the throttle linkage on the bulk head. To get past this I had to increase the angle of the engine but couldn’t do this until the gearbox had cleared the steering linkage as the engine wouldn’t go far enough forward to allow the head to stop fouling the rear bulk head and throttle linkage when lifted, hope that makes sense. Anyway after much jacking/lowering/lifting/everything else and a considerable amount of force on the throttle linkage it eventually came out at the required 45deg angle. After all that, my point is, is it normal to have such a fight with the throttle linkage or have I missed something in the process. All round, it would have been much simpler to have removed the head which I think I will do when putting everything back in.

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2006, 23:32:51 »
I remove the rear throttle shaft at the firewall. It usually gets bent if you don't.
Remove the small bearings that hold it in place and pull it out of the way. You will also need to remove the screw that holds it to the arm that goes through the firewall.

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
  1 877 661 6061
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

DavidBrough

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2006, 09:19:00 »
Thanks Dan, I have now managed to remove the throttle shaft after loosening the servo mounts and moving it forward a little. I’m sure the engine will be much easier to put back with this off. Hopefully I didn’t bend it too much taking the engine out.

DavidBrough

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006, 06:41:13 »
Hi Guys, Well the engine is now at the re-builders and I’m busy cleaning/painting/plating various bits to make the whole thing look nice. In addition, I am also reading through the manuals I have to make sure everything goes back properly. However, I have now discovered my first problem as having already deep cleaned the oil filter housing by first removing ALL the bolts and connectors only to find that the manual says DO NOT remove the centre canister mounting bolt as this is glued in, Oops. Hopefully this can be glued back but does anyone know what adhesive I should use?