Author Topic: AC Condensor  (Read 3362 times)

fla230sl

AC Condensor
« on: May 27, 2006, 13:08:40 »
On my 1966 230SL I have an under-dash Frigiking unit. I need a new condensor.  ANyone have a source for a new one?

Jack Schmidt

jeffc280sl

Re: AC Condensor
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 09:47:17 »
I'm going to replace mine someday with a more efficient unit someday.  Mine is off the car and the overall dimensions are (Width -Length) 21 3/4 in x 16 1/8 in.  The top and bottom sides are just fins with no brackets.  The width dimensions include a 90 degree frame piece of steel on each side.  There are a series of mounting holes in each side piece.  I venture to say it was a universal condensor for its day.  A similar size unit should work.  Remember there also was also a second condensor unit inside the front bumper.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Sam SL

• Regular
  • Canada, British Columbia, Vancouver
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 17:19:46 »
Jack;

I replaced my compressor 2 years ago in my 71 280 with a factory original York unit from Mercedes dealer.  The benefit of buying from MB is I was guraranteed exact fitment eliminating any need for bracket modification etc.  I paid around $900 Cdn for the part.  This is what's great about having a classic Mercedes, being able to walk into a MB dealership and be able to get most parts for a 40 year old car.  

Sam

Sam
Sam

'71 280 SL  -- Green Queen
82 300D
92 500E
97 SL500

Sam SL

• Regular
  • Canada, British Columbia, Vancouver
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 17:24:26 »
Jack;

I apologize for having misread your post.  It's a condenser you want.  I imagaine if its not available through the dealer, your best bet is eBay.  I have seen them from time to time.  I had mine rebuilt 2 years ago and as for the one in the front bumper I removed it entirely.  I have not noticed any change in performance.  Sam

Sam
Sam

'71 280 SL  -- Green Queen
82 300D
92 500E
97 SL500

Ed Cave

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 19:53:58 »
Bud's Benz just outside Atlanta has developed the formula for updating the air conditioning systems on these cars. I replaced my condensor with their (I'm pretty certain it's Japanese) model and based on little knowledge for comparison purposes, it runs quieter, and more efficient than the original unit. I did retain and refurbish the Frigiking unit under the dash to retain the correct appearance.

Bud's does sell a replacement unit for under the dash but it does not match the original Frigiking look. They sell their air conditioning solution as a package with all components included but instead you can order only the components you need specifically for your restoration project. http://www.budsbenz.com/catalog/200 (see the photo at the upper right of this web page) for more detail on their system.

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1971 280SL
1973 911S
2004 A4 3.0
2006 GS430
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 07:01:15 by Ed Cave »

AGT

• Senior
  • Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 09:53:29 »
I have used part of the Bud's Benz kit to replace the air conditioning on my 1969 280SL. I kept the original FrigiKing inside the passenger compartment and used the Bud's kit from the bulkhead forward. Although the kit is sold as tailored for the Pagoda, both the compressor and the condensor proved a struggle to fit into the spaces available. I would expect that you could find a parallel flow condensor smaller than the one used in the Bud's kit and which would still be sufficient.

Try www.iceac.com (who I believe supply the condensor used in the Bud's kit) or Jerry West at www.europeancoolerair.com (Jerry provided a lot of assistance with my air conditioning).

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

1966 230SL