Author Topic: W111 convertible or Pagoda  (Read 3996 times)

Benjegen

W111 convertible or Pagoda
« on: July 22, 2006, 11:36:08 »
Hi,
it seems to be on fashion to discuss alternatives to the Pagoda.
I always was attracted by the Pagoda as well as by the W111 convertible.
Does anyone have experience with both cars ? The W111 is pretty big and 500 lbs heavier than the SL. So acceleration must be not very good ?! I am thinking of a 250 SE convertible which was offered to me and currently I have a 250SL. What do you think ?

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: W111 convertible or Pagoda
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 13:46:51 »
Both....

Have to say that I have fallen somewhat for the W111/W108 3.5s (either coupe or convertible). It's having a family that's done it. That and they made only about 240 coupes in right hand drive and 60 convertibles.

However, I have enough trouble looking after two seats, let alone 4
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 20:41:30 »
Hello,

These are gorgeous cars with acres of wood, leather and chrome. Much of the chome parts are solid brass chrome plated. The drive train is basically pagoda. The 3.5 versions with the V-8 are the most sought after but rare as Tosh has indicated.

These are extremely expensive to restore so make sure the car is solid complete and in decent shape. Replacement of the soft top may cost you as much as $7,000 or $8,000 if you need the canvas, insulation, inside liner and any wood bows. A fender or bumper will also set youu back a bunch. They are more scarce than pagodas and seem to be appreciating faster

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Ben

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 05:34:48 »
Although not a convertible, I have just bought a W111 280SE 6cyl. Coupe and I love it !

I have always loved the looks and as mentioned it was the whole family thing that pushed me the little bit I needed. With a wife and two daughters I could never bring them anywhere in the Pagoda so this Coupe is ideal. Its bigger and more luxurious though a lot less sporting as my Pagoda is a 230SL manual !

I would love a 3.5 Cab but they are way outa my league, but as Joe says they are appreciating so now is the time. There is/was a silver on on eBay, an original car with a current bid of $84,000 !!  [:0]

This car was not worth that IMO !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

joelj

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 09:06:57 »
Hi group,

I have a w113 280sl and a w111 280se cabriolet and I love both of these cars.

The Pagoda is my zip around car and it is a much easier drive because of its size. the cabriolet on the other hand is just so elegant looking...especially with the top down.

The cabriolet 280se is, in my opinion, a bit underpowered since I find myself down shifting quite a lot when I  overtake or when I am going up hill.

My cabriolet is in showroom condition and I was lucky enough to purchase it in that condition. It has an automatic tranny with power windows, original aircon and original becker stereo. The previous owner restored it to such great detail that when I saw it I did not let it go and worked out a deal. It is horizon blue exterior, navy interior and navy soft top.

I bought my pagoda in drivable condition. Though it was not in showroom condition, it still is a head turner. It is curerntly in the restorers shop and is undergoing a full exterior restoration. the rusts are being taken cared of and a new paint job (same color, classic white) is being applied. All new rubber seals, rechroming of parts and new wiring harness is what my pagoda is going through. It should be out in 2 months. Its been in the restorers shop since May.

These cars are keepers. I can't see myself parting with them. I have had numerous offers which up to this point in time I have been able to refuse :)

I have to take photos of them in smaller quality/megapixels so I can post them here.

cheers,

Joel

1969 280sl auto
White exterior
Blue interior
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 09:09:07 by joelj »