Author Topic: Darn moths at it again.  (Read 4878 times)

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
Darn moths at it again.
« on: August 08, 2006, 09:24:57 »
I just installed a new carpet set about 3 months ago to replace a badly eaten original set.  The old original set while still good when I bought the car, but was given a good going over by the moths.  
Now they are back again and working on the new set.  
How does one keep them from returning.  
I don't want the small of the moth balls and it seems that the lavender satchets dont work too well.
What do others do the keep them pesky buggers out?

BTW they seem to like the seats(underneath) too.

Frustrated,
Walter Klatt
1967 220SL-diesel under attack
1963 230SL-gas-carpetless.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Darn moths at it again.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 09:33:05 »
Try synthetic carpet.  Moths only eat wool.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Khurram Darugar

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 15:32:00 »
Walter,
       First of all let me say that moths on a new carpet has got to suck big time !!!  :evil:   My sympathies.
You may try moth balls, however they are not particularly sympathetic to the olfactory senses.  

Kay

Kay
Euro 280sl LHD Auto.

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 16:50:41 »
Walter,

What about cedar chips? And are you sure it's moths and not mice?

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 13:30:58 »
Are they living elsewhere in the car (seats?) and they keep coming back out to feed on the carpet?  How about where you keep the car?  Are the moths invading your whole garage (barn?)?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 15:04:40 »
Michael, Synthetic carpet?  Nah, I'd rather go with the original look.  
Kay, looks like I will get mothballs and put a few of em inside some old socks of mine and put under the seats and trunk.  Just till they are gone and then air out the car from the fumes.
Douglas, it's definitely moths as i see a few of em fluttering about when I moved the seats forward.  I have since removed the loose carpet and put them on top of a big table to air out.  But Cedar chips might be an idea to use to cover the vile smell of mothballs.
Rodd, the barn has had it's share of moths, but I eliminated them by tossing most of my old work clothes.  Had an old oriental rug in there, but has been moved to the shed in the backyard.  Keep the cars in the garage and guess they live in the old seats.  The totally original carpet set was decimated by the moths.  Guess a few are still developing in the seats somewhere.  I will replace the seat covers soon.  When I do, I'll check the seat padding for infestations.
Thanks to all for the replies.  Will buy some mothballs and cedar chips this weekend.
Walter Klatt
1967 220SL-diesel-moth haven
1963 230SL-gas moth vacancy

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 12:19:53 »
Walt, you need a serious fumigation or something.  I guess I have wool carpet in my car; I have an awful lot of wool clothes, sweaters, etc.  Ditto for the wife.  A lot of wool area rugs in the home.  Wool is all over the place...

I have not seen a moth attack on anything wool since I was a child any my mom bought the OLD paradichlorobenzine mothballs for when she stored "the woolens" in the attic.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

iceberg

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 00:16:35 »
Hey Walter,

The magic trick is cedar wood shims.  You can pick them up at any hardware store for as low as $5.00 for a pack of 10.  First fumigate the car then just place these under your seats and under the carpet.  I am very sure this should do the trick.  Works just like cedar closets.  Also a quick question for you:  Is you 230 SL carpet less by choice or is this how it came?

Hassan
63' 230 SL Copper Poly
Stripped and in the body shop for rust repair.  Will be there for another year.

George Des

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 06:26:46 »
Walt,

You need to get a few of those bug "bombs" to "bomb' the heck out of your garage. Leave the car in there with the top down. I'd use the ones that you drop into a small cup of water that produce a non-sticking smoke so it doesn't leave a residue on your car. I forget who makes these but with three cats and a dog in my house and living in this "swamp" they call the Nation's Capitol we get plenty of bugs that need to be dealt with and this is what I use. Good luck with this!

George

hauser

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 22:51:17 »
Walter, I keep a couple cedar blocks under my seats all the time.  I haven't had any problems with moths and the cedar smells so much better than moth balls.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.