Author Topic: Air cleaner filter  (Read 4054 times)

wgl0

Air cleaner filter
« on: August 10, 2006, 21:05:36 »
We have a 280 SL with a stock paper filter. Does anyone no of a filter element that will flow more air, similar to K & N.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Air cleaner filter
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 09:59:47 »
A Mercedes air filter costs about $20, OEM.  A K&N to replace same is about $35.  Are you trying to avoid a K&N?  There are not too many other manufacturers out there, and of those that exist you might not find one for a 40 year old car...

I have a K&N, and while the demo unit at the parts store indicates it breathes better, and shows you this, how this translates to better performance would have to be seen on a machine.  I certainly didn't notice any astounding difference.  It is a lifetime filter however, so it could be the last one you ever buy; the $15 premium I paid is made up by not having to replace it.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

wgl

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 20:59:05 »
Thank you for replying. I am trying to flow more air for two reasons, 1 performance and  2  more air going through the motor should increase the sound of the exhaust. I do not seem to be able to leave things alone.

Bill Lindquist
1968 280SL unmolested original

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 06:30:58 »
Bill,
  If you aren't worried about originality there is a simple, inexpensive solution available at most Pep Boys-like stores.  Several cone shaped air filters like those for tuners will fit on the throttle body intake.  
  To accommodate the bleed air hose for the intake manifold, I bought one with a metal plate in the center of the cone.  I drilled a hole in the center of the plate and installed an eletrical lamp nipple from a ceiling fan.  It looks like allthread but has a hole in the middle and is exactly the diameter of the air hose. I sealed it with hi temp RTV and a nut on each side.
  The result is I have great air flow, without excessive intake noise, the bleed air is filtered, and I no longer have the problem of getting the top on and off that huge cannister with air conditioning hoses interfering.

Download Attachment: Air filter.JPG
72.34 KB

Download Attachment: Air filter bleed air hose.JPG
36.97 KB

The caution with this is, I don't drive fast in a really heavy rain storm.  There is no provision for throwing off water as in centrifugal flow canister.  A big gulp of water wouldn't be good.
  I still have the cannister and haven't modified anything on the car, so it can go back at any time.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe

« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 08:51:35 by Raymond »
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 07:20:04 »
 :oops:

Download Attachment: AirFil2.JPG
40.19 KB

Download Attachment: AirFil1.JPG
33.99 KB

:oops:
naj

68 280SL
68 280SL

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 08:04:57 »
Naj, I tried your solution with the small filter right on the intake bleed screw, and found the "whistle" noise to be way too loud.  That's why I routed the air hose to the air cleaner.  

However, I didn't notice it when we rode in your car in May.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray

Vince Canepa

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 08:35:30 »
"I am trying to flow more air for two reasons, 1 performance and 2 more air going through the motor should increase the sound of the exhaust"

The only way to get a performance increase is to increase air AND fuel flow.  Assuming that the paper filter is restricting the airflow and that installing a free flow air filter will correct that, the increased airflow will result in the engine running lean.  On these engines that can be diastrous.  The only way to fix the air/fuel ratio is to have the injection pump adjusted on a bench.  These cars are not like modern cars with Mass Air Flow sensors that adjust fuel flow in accordance with air flow.

This will have no effect on exhaust sound.

Vince Canepa
1967 250SL
113.043-10-001543
568H Signal Red
116 Caviar MB-Tex

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 09:07:46 »
Vince is right about the exhaust note.  High flow filters will give some intake noise when under hard acceleration and I like the sound I'm getting.

Regarding the lean/rich question.  Many people seem to complain the cars run too rich. My car still does and the air cleaner didn't help lean it out that much.  It was a big improvement in acceleration. I expect that to get even better when I get it leaned out just right.  Just have to find the time.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 14:04:27 »
Ray,

quote:
However, I didn't notice it when we rode in your car in May.

Ray

I took them off. The large cone one just kept falling off...

naj

68 280SL
68 280SL