Author Topic: Parts car  (Read 4993 times)

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Parts car
« on: August 16, 2006, 11:11:14 »
How much would you pay for a parts car? (complete but with rocker panels and most floorpans rusted)

WAQAS in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

norton

Re: Parts car
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 13:02:10 »
I'd go 2 grand or so, depending on what parts it's got that you want or can sell. btw I'm looking for a good oem grill shell ;)

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 13:41:59 »
I saw it and it's NOT quite a parts car. I now own a sister 230SL (also a '65) and a MUCH longer car repair to-do list!  :D

Mechanically, it's excellent, but it needs only one rocker panel, and one floor-panel (the other are solid, and the trunk floor looks like it did when it came off the factory floor!). It was imported from Germany and kept in Texas in a garage for 25yrs.

WAQAS in Austin, Texas

isofast

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 21:26:30 »
I would pay four thousand dollars stuck engine and trans or not. If  it was complete with both tops and had all the gauges and nickel chrome and stainless trim
Ernie

joelj

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 09:00:14 »
if you sell parts off this car kindly let me know :)

thanks

joel

1969 280sl auto
White exterior
Blue interior

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 14:44:34 »
Will do. But of course, the more I look at it, the more I want to try and restore it instead of gutting yet another one of these beauties... and I'm sure we'd all be better off if pagodas stay as abundantly available as possible.

I still need to drain the gas tank, clear the fuel lines and get it running first. Apparently, a week before I purchased it, some moron had broken into the gas cap (!) and stolen the fuel, eventually stirring up the crud at the bottom enough to clog some fuel line (I imagine). The hapless owner then tried to start it not knowing the tank was empty, and probably made things worse. The fuel-pump runs, but I won't know for sure until I perform the 'volume' test on the pump alone.

Ha! Yet another excuse to avoid my 'honey-do' list...  :D

WAQAS in Austin, Texas

joelj

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 08:43:47 »
Hi waqas,

yes I agree, lets keep our pagodas on the road where they belong.

Goodluck in your restoration.

These are truly special cars.

Warm regards,

joel

1969 280sl auto
White exterior
Blue interior

cth350

• Regular
  • USA, NY, Rockville Centre
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 21:01:24 »
Just a rocker and a floor? Heck, let it live. If nothing else, put it back in a barn and fix it 10 years from now.  -CTH

bsimaz

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 06:24:34 »
Rockers and floors are not that much work IMHO.  If all else is good it would make a great daily dirver.  Not all pagodas have to be 'showroom new'.  Cleaning and getting it on the road again is 1/2 the fun.

Bill Simaz
'66 230sl
Back on the Road

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 14:14:57 »
Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'm gonna need a lot more in the coming months!

Speaking of parts cars... here's an overpriced one that just sold on ebay. What do you folks think? Was it really overpriced, and if so, by how much?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=200022370932&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

WAQAS in Austin, Texas

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 14:17:56 »
Oh, and of the 20 or so unique bidders, how many belong to our club? (if you dare to reveal yourselves...)

WAQAS in Austin, Texas

bsimaz

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 06:23:02 »
Not I, said the chicken....

Bill Simaz
'66 230sl
Back on the Road