Author Topic: 1968 250sl  (Read 3206 times)

n/a

1968 250sl
« on: August 18, 2006, 14:54:56 »
I just purchased a 250SL From the Daniel Schmitt & co.
I didn't recieve the car yet but I would like to learn about the car the vin No. only has 14 numbers. How can I look up the vin. Thanks Frank

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: 1968 250sl
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 15:34:30 »
Hi Frank, Good luck on the new car. What info are you interested in?

For information about YOUR car as it was built, you need to obtain a copy of the "data card." Each of the Pagodas has a unique card on file which explains things like its original colors, the options it came with, the various numbers on chassis, engine, trans, axels, etc. If you do a search here for data card, you'll find just exactly who to contact for this.

Now if you want registration or accident history on the car, this can prove more elusive. Depends a lot on what state you are in. Its my undersatnding that our cars are to old to get into the CarFax database. Not sure on that.

Anyway, look forward to seeing and hearing about your new car. I have seen his listings for years -- let us all know what we can help you with. These are fun little cars.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Vince Canepa

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 07:15:04 »
The Pagodas were built before the concept of a universal Vehicle Identification Number was developed.  For this reason CARFAX and other similar databases are useless.  Unless you can track the car through service records or similar documentation, tracking the history is tough.

FYI, the 14 digit number you are seeing is properly referred to as the Chassis Number.  There should be a similar 14 digit Engine Number.  This is important when you need parts.

Vince Canepa
1967 250SL
113.043-10-001543
568H Signal Red
116 Caviar MB-Tex

KevinC

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 19:42:41 »
Frank,

Welcome aboard! When you can, give the great search function on this site a try. As James mentioned the "data card" would be a good place to start. I would suggest doing the search to find out more details on how to obtain one for your car. I just called the MB Classic Center and they faxed mine the next day. Then, of course check back on the search function again and find out how to decipher your card once you receive it.

Good luck and post often!

-Kevin  

PS: The card will give you the orginal production info on your car but not historical details like CARFAX does.

Kevin Caputo
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex