Author Topic: False Alarm  (Read 2720 times)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
False Alarm
« on: August 31, 2006, 12:00:05 »
So I was just returning from running some errands (ok. ok. basically excuses to drive the Pagoda)... I turned up our road and heard a very unsettling sound. A loud kachink kachink kachink coming from the passenger's side wheel. It didn't feel like a flat -- but it was a bad sound. All my years on the Pagoda website passed before my eyes as I pulled over to the side -- trying to figure out what it might be. Well, took a look... Apparently I had run over a small bungee cord: one plastic end was wedged in the tire tread, the other must have been whipping around the wheel well. No damage -- except to my heart rate!  :)

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

enochbell

Re: False Alarm
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 17:05:51 »
James, that is as good o' luck as a "near miss" on the runway, good for you.

g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

psmith

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 00:06:33 »
Hi James,

I found a vintage Mercedes automotive defibrilator on ebay.  Just the thing for those kachink kachink kachink noises.  It also works for the thunk thunk thunk noises, the sudden engine miss, the sloppy shifter and the floppy break pedal (it comes with a little blue pill to restore the break firmness)...

Pete S.

Longtooth

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 02:36:21 »
Those unfamiliar sounds, no matter how slight, and sudden new "feel" on the road, no matter how benign, seem to put my heart in my throat on any car I've ever owned.  Have you ever been driving along, relaxed, enjoying the road and scenery, with passanger beside you and heard a funny new sound??? that turns out to be the passenger dinging something in their purse you didn't notice... and you say WHAT WAS THAT???.... foot immediately off the accelerator, body tense, adrenaline flowing, all senses tingling, jaw taught, muscles flexed to near Hurculean level.

It takes about 10 minutes to cool back down to a level of normalcy, and another hr to get all the way back down to the formerly relaxed level.... AFTER your female passanger shouts screams epithets (all unprintable here) and calls you names that sailors don't even use for 'scaring her to death'.

I even have my ol' '65 Chevy C20.... and know every squeek & thunk but when I hear a new sound (somebody pounding on a nail head as you drive by but don't notice is occurring, for example)... same thing happens... "ohmygawdmyenginebitthedust" or "oh****[or worse]myrearendgaveout"... split second worst case scenario's forge thru your thoughts, followed immediately by images of writing big checks where you hardly have enough room on the line to write "& no/100's".

So I can really appreciate and emphathize with what you went thru with a real thunk/thunk repeating, rythmic sound eminating from your wheel.

You'ed think, perhaps, that with age, wisdom, and years and years of driving experience under our belts we'ed have learned to control those autonomic flight/fight reflex responses to a little unfamilair noise we for some reason associate, illogically, with the transport we're driving at the time.  I mean maybe if it was a single engine airplane it might make sense... but a 4 wheels on the ground vehicle?

I'm still perplexed at why I respond the way I do.... I'm really a hang-loose, devil may care, live and let live kind of 60's adolescence period guy most of the time, save for my wife's hitting a carefully chosen butten now and then for effect and her entertainment.

Longtooth
67 250SL US #113-043-10-002163
'02 SL500 Sport

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 07:29:19 »
Well, all those noises are unsettling, but to me it's nothing.
I am deaf, eventhough I was born hearing, but soon loss the hearing part shortly after birth.
Whenever I have some family or friends in my car, who can hear, always ask me "What is that noise? Sounds like it's grinding or squealing, etc.."  
I just calmly tell them that it's a deaf car they are riding in.  
But I will notice if something is out of tune, when the problem shows itself.
Walter Klatt
1967 220SL-diesel-what's that racket under the hood?
1963 230SL-gas-soon gone

joelj

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 07:58:59 »
Hi James,

Its nice to hear that the sound was not anything more than an irritant.

Those unknown sounds really gives us a scare.

I pray that then next unknown sound I hear will only be a temporary irritant that does not cost me any money to rectify.

Cheers group

Joel

1969 280sl auto
White exterior
Blue interior