Author Topic: off topic - Christmas Parade  (Read 5479 times)

al_lieffring

off topic - Christmas Parade
« on: December 03, 2006, 13:22:18 »
Saturday morning, Nick and I were entered to ride our unicycles in the Watkinsville Christmas parade. As we were going to our spot in the lineup before the parade we spotted a Euro model 250se cabrolet. We walked over to take a closer look. It had been trimed out with the 300sec belt line and wheel arch mouldings. But the most noticable thing, Nick even commented on it, was that the car was painted what appeared to be 1970 Pontiac lima bean green metalic, even worse, with a red leather interior.
I only recall a forest green metalic MBZ color and that was on cars made in the 70's.

I know Benz made some aweful color combinations that would look strange even on a Morgan. I think the worst was a pumpkin orange 300D with green tex that we used to service at our shop.

Was there ever a MB Lima Bean Green Metalic??

Al

66 230sl
113-042-10-014715
904/396 blue, Ivory Tex
condition: not-as-rusty-as-before-bucket

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: off topic - Christmas Parade
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 19:07:37 »
Those lucky or smart enough to attend Dan Caron's "Meeting of the Clans" this past July may have had the opportunity to meet singer/songwriter Ian Thomas, http://www.ianthomasband.com/ famous in his own right but also brother of [comedian] Dave Thomas of SCTV fame, "The Mackenzie Brothers" etc.

Ian was driving his 113--don't exactly remember whether it was a 230, 250 or 280 but it was this electric lime green metallic!  It was not a color ever allowed in the front door or back door of Mercedes-Benz, but that's how he found it.  He had driven down from Toronto.

Maybe the previous owner also had a 250SE...

I'll remember Ian's humor; his car color, and his little trick: he drove with the top up, but lifted the rear window and had a "semi-convertible" for highway driving!  He used bungees to hold the rear up...not a bad idea!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid