Author Topic: another ebay scam  (Read 4308 times)

n/a

another ebay scam
« on: December 12, 2006, 10:45:41 »
has any on eseen the one i am currently talking to someone who has a 1994 toyota supra for sale turbo 26k and targa top and immaculate this is deffinately a scam car blue books for 19-20k and she is selling it for 2900 and wants to do all the transactions through yahoo finance . and western union they also want to use well i will let you read the letter from her

Hello,
I'm glad that you're interested in my car. The car is street legal and accurate. It comes with all the documents needed for registration, it has a clear title and it can be registred into your name at any time. I am willing to sell it for $2900 This buy now price does include the shipping and insurance fees.
I'm located in Baytown TX and the car is here as well and so this is where the car will be shipped from. I've done some research and the best and fastest way I can ship it is using Hemisphere cargo Shipping Ltd which takes between 4 to 6 days to arrive at your door (door to door handling and shipping insurance fee included).
I am affiliated with Yahoo! Finance where I have a purchase protection account for $ 10,000.00. This service allows us to complete this transaction in a manner that is quick and safe for both of us. It acts as a third party between seller and buyer to insure that both parties comply to transaction requirements and provides dispute resolution and mediation between parties. Yahoo! Finance is responsible to insure that both parties comply to transaction requirements.
If this is ok with you please reply with your complete name, address and shipping address in your next email and let me know if you are interested in knowing more details about this purchase so that I can open a transaction case at Yahoo! Finance and move forward with this deal.
Thank you,
Mary Pearce

i replied are you sure that the car is only 2900

Yes the full price is 2900$!
I must remind you that if we are going to have a transaction I will need your complete name and address to initiate a new transaction case at Yahoo! Finance, please provide me with your purchase & shipping details (name and address "shipping address aswell if different from your address"). After I receive your details I will initiate a new transaction case at Yahoo! Finance and they will contact you with the complete details of this transaction.
Thank you!
Mary

my reply was can you send me info on the car

1994 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo Targa
Mileage:  26000    
Number of Doors:  3 doors  
Transmission:  Automatic    
Interior Colour:  Tan  
Number of Cylinders:  6 - Cyl.    
Warranty:  No    
VIN:  jt2ja82jxr0021448
Type of Title:  Clear    
Exterior Colour:  Black  
Condition:  Used

I m still waiting for your info!

my reply i gave name and address

I contacted Yahoo! Finance and opened a transaction case with you so they should contact you with the complete details of this transaction shortly. I will wait for Yahoo! Finance valid payment confirmation to proceed with shipping.
Mary

then "yahoo finance" contacted me keep in mind this was 6 min after the previous email

Here is the invoice for your item!    

Dear Doug Boswell,  

Yahoo! Seller Mary Pearce has opted to conduct the transaction through Yahoo! Finance having you the Buyer for his item :

1. 1994 Toyota Supra

The following terms were indicated by Seller :

The total sale price : $2,900.00

Deposit : $2,900.00

Seller pays shipping .

Inspection period :  2 day(s)

Seller must ship the item in  7 day(s) to Buyer's address .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seller selected Yahoo! Finance Premium Service for this transaction. Premium Service transactions are protected up to $10,000.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In order to speed up the process, Yahoo! Finance and The Seller agreed that you send payment via Western Union Money Transfer.

If you are not familiarized with the Western Union Money Transfer service, please visit http://www.westernunion.com . You have to pay with cash at any Western Union office. Buyer is responsible for paying the Western Union transfer fees.

To locate the nearest Western Union office,please click here:

http://www.westernunion.com/info/agentInquiryIntl.asp

Delivery Information

Name:  Doug

Address:  

MD

United States of America

Seller Address

First Name:  Mary

Last Name:  Pearce

Street:  2306 Decker Drive

City/State:

Baytown/TX

Zip code:  77520

How to make payment ?

1. Locate the nearest Western Union Office;

2. Make the payment with cash using our agent's details below;

3. Send via fax the customer's copy of the money transfer at the following fax number :

-   1(206) 350-0925

4. Do not make any marks on the transfer receipt copy. The following information must be readable :

- the sender's and receiver's name and address

- the Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN#)

Yahoo! Finance Agent Details

First Name:  Robert

Last Name:  Iacov

Street:  1730 Collins Ave

City/State:

Miami/Fl`

Zip code:  33139

Payments verification proccess usually takes less than 3 hous, after successfull verification seller will receive the verified payment confirmation and will be required to start the shipping process and submit shipping receipt for confirmation in 48 hours. Yahoo! Finance holds the payment until you confirm that you are satisfied with the product you received.

During your inspection period, you have the option to accept or reject the item received.

If you, as the Buyer, accept the terms and conditions indicated by Seller, proceed with the first step of the transaction : - Fax the payment details to Yahoo! Finance.

How does it work ?

Buyer and Seller Agree to Terms
Both parties agree to terms of the transaction, which includes a description of the merchandise, sale price and any shipping information

Buyer Pays Yahoo! Finance
The Buyer submits a payment, selecting cashier's check,Western Union, MoneyGram or wire transfer. Yahoo! Finance verifies the payment. Processing time varies by payment method.

Seller Ships Merchandise
Upon payment verification, the Seller is authorized to ship merchandise and submit tracking information. Yahoo Finance verifies that the Buyer receives the shipment.

Buyer Accepts the Merchandise
The Buyer has the option to accept or reject the merchandise.

Yahoo! Finance Pays the Seller  
Yahoo! Finance pays the Seller by cashier's check,Western Union, MoneyGram or wire transfer. The transaction is complete.

How Buyers are protected:

Yahoo! Finance tracks the shipped merchandise and verifies it was delivered.
The Seller isn't paid until the Buyer accepts the merchandise.
How Sellers are protected:

Yahoo! Finance confirms when the Buyer receives merchandise.
The Seller is authorized to ship only after Yahoo! Finance verifies good funds.  

If you need to contact our Customer Support Department please respond to this email with information regarding your case by clicking the button below.

Please do not respond to this message as your reply will not be received.

Historical chart data and daily updates provided by Commodity Systems, Inc. (CSI). International historical chart data and daily updates provided by Hemscott Americas. Quotes and other information supplied by independent providers identified on the Yahoo! Finance partner page. S&P 500 index provided by Comstock. Fundamental company data provided by Capital IQ. All information provided "as is" for informational purposes only, not intended for trading purposes or advice. Neither Yahoo! nor any of independent providers is liable for any informational errors, incompleteness, or delays, or for any actions taken in reliance on information contained herein. By accessing the Yahoo! site, you agree not to redistribute the information found therein.
Yahoo! Finance is hiring
Copyright © 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

--

my reply

the only concern is it seems like the price is wrong why is the car priced so low , and is there anything wrong with it please let me know asap thank you

her reply

I wanted this car to be a present for my brother, now I have to sell it because his situation ( he has cancer and he will never be abble to drive again

i then asked her to send me a pic of her holding the title and she told me that it was with the car and the car was at the shipping yard ready to go

do not fall for this if you would like to try and stop this email me thaknyou ryan 51 for giving me the info to identify this scammer and saving my self from making a huge mistake

al_lieffring

Re: another ebay scam
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 11:44:13 »
I went to the Yahoo home page and from there selected Yahoo Finance.
This is a news and information web page and they only offer addvertisement space to lenders and do not offer thier own financial services.

When making an online transaction always use your search browser to make sure you can get to that same page from the official home page.

Never use a link provided by the "seller" especially if it is for a bank, credit card company, Pay Pal etc.

66 230sl
113-042-10-014715
904/396 blue, Ivory Tex
condition: not-as-rusty-as-before-bucket

Ed Cave

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 18:25:03 »
Looks like Mary lives in a run down motel in the middle of an oil refinery [:0] while her agent Robert, on the other hand lists his address as a small hotel across the street from the Atlantic ocean in Miami Beach.[:0][:0]

These assessments made after a quick Google Earth view of the addresses they provided.  ;)

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1971 280SL
1973 911S
2006 GS430
2007 328i Coupe

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 19:46:59 »
I'm getting more and more cynical about scams and liars. I find that many advertisements are scams and it seems to be getting worse. If the trend continues, people are just not going to buy things sight unseen any more. -The end of eBay-

'69 280SL,Signal Red,Automatic,retired engineer, West-Seattle,WA
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 16:15:37 »
For those of you who think eBay is a safe place to do business, please take the time to either read the article in the Wednesday December 13, 2006 edition of the Chicago Sun-Times newspaper, or click on the link to it below.

Buyer beware,

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/170355,CST-NWS-ebay13.article

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 14:41:45 »
thank you for looking into this for us. It is intresting how smart some of these scams have become.

Bob Geco

gullibe626

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 10:51:12 »
I was almost taken in by the same scam. A friend of mine googled Mary Pearce and came up with this forum. here's a cpy of my letter from her.
Hello,
Sorry for mailing you so late!
I'm glad that you're interested in my car. The car is street legal and accurate. It comes with all the documents needed for registration, it has a clear title and it can be registred into your name at any time. I am willing to sell it for $4000.This buy now price does include the shipping and insurance fees. I'm located in Baytown TX and the car is here as well and so this is where the car will be shipped from. I've done some research and the best and fastest way I can ship it is using Hemisphere cargo Shipping Ltd which takes between 4 to 6 days to arrive at your door (door to door handling and shipping insurance fee included). I am affiliated with Yahoo! Finance where I have a purchase protection account for $ 10,000.00. This service allows us to complete this transaction in a manner that is quick and safe for both of us. It acts as a third party between seller and buyer to insure that both parties comply to transaction requirements and provides dispute resolution and mediation between parties. Yahoo! Finance is responsible to insure that both parties comply to transaction requirements. If this is ok with you please reply with your complete name, address and shipping address in your next email and let me know if you are interested in knowing more details about this purchase so that I can open a transaction case at Yahoo! Finance and move forward with this deal.
Thank you,

Wow, this all sounds to good to be true. I don't mean to sound sceptical, but this deal with shipping included makes me wonder. How would I be able to verify that I am actually getting the car in the pictures. I am all the way up in Canada but I would travel for the right car. Let me know.

I must remind you that if we are going to have a transaction I will need your complete name and address to initiate a new transaction case at Yahoo! Finance, please provide me with your purchase & shipping details (name and address "shipping address aswell if different from your address"). After I receive your details I will initiate a new transaction case at Yahoo! Finance and they will contact you with the complete details of this transaction.
Thank you!

I'm sorry to be such a pain but this deal sounds to good to be true. Shipping here would cost well over a thousand dollars so you stand to make almost nothing on a car that if your pictures are correct is of show quality. I would love to own such a car for the unbelievable price of four thousand dollars but you seem to want my information and are giving me no reasons for making such an unbelievable deal. You may be the nicest person in the world and only want your car to go to a true enthusiast such as myself or this may be a scam to get personal information from me. Send me an explanation for making this deal and not sounding like a robot.

This was my brother's car and I have to sell it because he has cancer and he will never be able to drive again. Besides that the shipping company will do this for free as my brother worked for them in the past that's why I can offer free shipping.
All you have to do is to send me your details and Yahoo Finance will notify you with all the details.
Mary

Hi Mary,
    I did some checking into this yahoo protection plan. The statement I read goes as follows "What purchases are covered by the Yahoo! Buyer Protection Program?
The Yahoo! Buyer Protection Program covers any item legitimately purchased through Yahoo! Shopping from a covered merchant, as long as that item does not violate our terms of service. This protection covers purchases of up to $1000.
All claims must be filed with cynoSure Financial, our claims administrator, within 60 days of the purchase. There's a lifetime limit of two claims per user on items purchased through Yahoo! Shopping. Yahoo!, in its sole discretion, makes all final determinations regarding Buyer Protection Program claims."
Are you a covered merchant? I would love this deal to be real but everybody I ask tells me that it is a scam and all you would have to do is put up a poster at your local supermarket and the car would be gone in a heartbeat, without the headache of yahoo finance and shipping it to a neighboring country. Why don't you give me your address and I'll see if I can find someone to check the car out for me. It is a bit of a pain to transfer a car across the border and I would have to be personally involved, not like shipping a model car or something like that. Let me know, or even send me your phone number and I will give you a call and we can discuss this at length.

I want to take this opportunity to assure you that this deal is as legitimate as it could possible be. I am a very serious seller here. I never fooled someone in any way. I won't risk my freedom and my future for anything in the world!!! I would rather close this deal with other person than to know that you'll be very stressed hoping that I am an honest person, until you receive your package. Your peace of mind is a lot more important than this deal!!! If you decide not to go through with it there is no problem. I got quite a few offers left. Get back to me and let me know what you decide. Thank you for your time and interest. Whatever you decide I wish you good luck.
My terms remain the same!
Sincerely,
Mary
I contacted Yahoo! Finance and opened a transaction case with you so they should contact you with the complete details of this transaction shortly. I will wait for Yahoo! Finance valid payment confirmation to proceed with shipping.
Let me know if you received the invoice!
Mary

I have since contacted Yahoo Finance and sent them all the correspondence in hopes that they can do something about this. Lesson learned, if it seems like to good of a deal it probably is.