Author Topic: Smokey motor  (Read 10290 times)

n/a

Smokey motor
« on: August 19, 2003, 18:26:25 »
Hi everyone

My 230 SL has done 128,000 miles now and it's starting to get a bit smokey. I'm told that this blow-by from the rings causes fumes and oil to be pushed out through the dip stick tube. This explains the oil all over the motor. The trouble is that my car goes like a rocket and I really don't want to mess with it while it's going so well. Apart from having it rebuilt, is there any other solution? It's not a big problem at the moment, except for occasional fumes rising from underneath while the car is idling and the mess from the oil. I've checked the breather lines and they are clear. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Mark

1965 230 SL

CarlG

Re: Smokey motor
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2003, 20:37:38 »
I can't offer anything good on this.  My car was like yours before I had the engine rebuilt, it ran great and it was had to believe something was wrong, except for the smoke and adding a quart of oil every 200 miles or so.  My sons convinced me to have it rebuilt, nagged is a better word, calling me the polluter of Sugar Land.  It's only a matter of time before you have to rebuild, may as well start saving your money for it.

1967 230sl (stick)

n/a

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 17:28:55 »
Hi Carl

I take your point. My engine doesn't blow smoke from the exhaust or use much oil at this point. It's just that I've noticed more fumes coming from the dipstick than usual. I gave the dipstick filter a really good clean yesterday and this seems to have made a difference. At 128,000 miles I know that a rebuild is looming somewhere in the future but want to stall this for as long as possible. It's an awful dilemma to have to choose between putting food on the table for the family and a new engine for my Pagoda but let's not go there...

Mark

1965 230 SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Fallbrook
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2003, 14:52:57 »
It does sound like you have a problem that is causing your oil spill, other than just wear and tear. My engine uses a lot of oil through worn rings/pistons etc., and there is some smoke coming out of the dipstick tube when I take the dipstick out, but it's minor and there's definitely no oily mess all over the engine. Does someone know what could cause this? Is there a leak in one of the oil lines anywhere, like to and from the oil cooler?
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 14:56:23 »
Is the dipstick correct for the engine?

Is the valve cover breather tube clogged?

Rodd
1966 230SL Euro
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

n/a

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2003, 21:47:22 »
The dip stick is correct and original and the breather tube was clogged but is now clear. This appears to have reduced the problem of the oily mess on the engine. Now that the engine has been cleaned down I've also noticed oil seeping from the tachometer mount on the block. I've ordered another O ring for it. There is still smoke coming from the dipstick tube but it appears to be less after a good cleaning of the dipstick filter. I'll keep an eye on it especially problem after a long high speed run. Thanks for the suggestions

Mark

1965 230 SL

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2003, 03:53:11 »
Hey MarkR,

How do I clean the dip stick filter on my 250SL?

Bob(Brisbane,Australia)
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

n/a

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2003, 18:35:12 »
Bob
I just immersed it petrol and shook it around for a while. As I say, the problem is still there but a bit less. A M-B club member who has been a mechanic for years suggested a semi-permanent fix that has worked for him. He used to attach a long hose (he used garden hose) to the breather pipe on the engine and run it under the car to the rear near the exhaust. Oil and fumes were redirected to the back. I suspect that this is illegal but then, who would know?

He tells me that my car is the quickest 230 SL he has ever driven and not to touch the motor until absolutely necessary.
Mark

1965 230 SL

Albert-230SL

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2003, 04:03:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by MarkR

... A M-B club member who has been a mechanic for years suggested a semi-permanent fix that has worked for him. He used to attach a long hose (he used garden hose) to the breather pipe on the engine and run it under the car to the rear near the exhaust. Oil and fumes were redirected to the back. I suspect that this is illegal but then, who would know?...
Mark

1965 230 SL

Hi Mark,

If you want to do this, it's better to direct that garden hose inside a plastic bottle fixed in the engine bay (like in many racing cars). In this way you will have the condensed oil in the bottle, and not in the atmosphere... It's more clean and ecological  ;)

Regards,

Albert de la Torre Chavalera
Barcelona (Catalunya/Spain)
Feb.'64 230 SL Euro 113042-10-002432

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2003, 06:52:19 »
Hey Albert,
Is it possible to re-use the oil caught in the bottle?

Mark,  
On some models there is a breather hose filter located at the valve cover connection. I think it is there to prevent fume fires in the breather tube. I am not sure if the 230SL had them.
Is it possible that the excess oil goes via the breather hose to the venturi and drains down to the air filter reservoir? You can take the big 100mm hose off and check it for excess oil in the venturi. If you have an oil bath air filter you could check the oil level in the reservoir at the bottom. If you don't have an oil bath filter and there is oil in there then you will know where some of the oil is going.

Take you friends' advice about delaying the rebuild and start saving your hard earned money and maybe re-cycle the oil.

Bob(Brisbane,Australia)
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Albert-230SL

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2003, 08:22:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by hands_aus

Hey Albert,
Is it possible to re-use the oil caught in the bottle?

Bob(Brisbane,Australia)

Hi Bob,

I'm not technical enough, but I guess this condensed oil is not clean and pure (mixed with fuel and other pollutants...?). So I would use new oil to fill in the engine. I would empty out that plastic bottle inside a bigger can, in order to later carry it to the mechanic or to the special places where used oil can be stored for future treatment.

Regards,

Albert de la Torre Chavalera
Barcelona (Catalunya/Spain)
Feb.'64 230 SL Euro 113042-10-002432

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2003, 09:03:13 »
Doesn't excessive (someone would need to define that) oil and/or pressure in the valve cover area, including the breather tube, indicate a problem?

Rodd
1966 230SL Euro
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"