Author Topic: Duralever heater levers  (Read 2952 times)

paul in Arizona

Duralever heater levers
« on: January 18, 2007, 11:54:56 »
The heater control levers on my '71 113 have started to crumble and I have chosen to go the Duralever route to replace them.  My question is: how do I remove the 'chrome' face plate that the levers protrude from?  If I get that off the lever removal and exchange should be dead simple.
I heard that older cars had two screws holding that plate on but there are none visible on mine.
Failing that, is there an easy way to get the old levers out without going via the radio, glove box etc.?  The four slits for the levers don't give much room to work.

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
Re: Duralever heater levers
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 15:55:05 »
Paul,
  I used the dura levers for awhile. My original controls had disintegrated so that I was able to just insert the duralevers. It was a very quick and painless install. If you have to open the dash up to remove the old levers I stongly suggest that you do a better job and install the replacement levers. I do not believe you asked for my opinion but, I thought I would share it with you before I answered your questions.
  My car is a 1969. I expect that the plate in question is held on the same way. There are two studs on the plate that go through the dash. There are nuts behind the dash that need to be removed. Removing the radio, glove box, ac (if you have it) and center speaker is the best way I know of to work on the heater controls. I spoke to an "expet" that told me he got in ther faster by removing the padded dash cover and cutting the metal dash underneath. It did not sound like an elegant solution and I would not reccommend it.
Best of luck,
Ted 1969 280SL

graphic66

Re: Duralever heater levers
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 17:35:39 »
Be very careful tightening the small nuts on the studs attached to the chrome dash pieces. They have a wavy washer under the nut and just tighten enough to flaaten the washer. The studs break off very easily.