Author Topic: Brake Booster at bargain rate  (Read 2762 times)

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
Brake Booster at bargain rate
« on: January 18, 2007, 17:01:08 »
I have suspected for many years that my brake booster has not been operating as it is supposed to. Here are some of the symptoms I experienced:
If you pump the brakes the idle speed increases
At times when I would depress the brake pedal I would expeience incresed pedal travel before the brakes engaged
In freezing cold weather the power brake booster did not seem to work until I had driven for 5 minutes. It felt like I did not have power brakes. I would have to press very hard to stop the car.
  I strongly suspected the brake booster but, I priced a new brake booster at $500 - $600 US. I was relectant to buy a new one. A relative told me about a company he had used, RockAuto, rockauto.com. They sent me a remanufactured brake booster for $116 after the core return. I installed it in 2 hours and my symptoms have disappeared. I am very happy with the company and I wanted to pass my experience along to the group.
Regards,
Ted 1969 280SL

glennard

Re: Brake Booster at bargain rate
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 23:19:54 »
Ted, How much did the idle speed increase when you pumped the brakes(admitted more O2 into the engine?)?  If it went up more than 50 rpm, seems it was running too rich?

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 16:13:29 »
Gen,
  The idle speed definitely incresed more than 50 RPM. I previously adjusted the idle mixture until the engine was running too lean. At that point the idle speed started to increase. This does not seem to be an issue any longer with the new brake booster. I was just informed today that my core credit of $50 has been charged back to my credit card. I am really very happy with my new brake booster. Unfortunately it sowed lightly in New York this morning so I did not take it out for a ride today.
Ted 1969 280SL

Mike

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 17:19:30 »
Ted and Glennard, sorry to hi-jack your thread but I am wondering whether other people experience an increase in rpm's when they pump their brakes at idle.  Mine definitely goes up by about 50 rpm's or so when I pump the brakes at idle.  Does this imply a leaking diaphram in the brake booster such that the need for a new booster is imminent?

Mike