Author Topic: Potential Pagoda Owner Requests Advice  (Read 3678 times)

starrynight

Potential Pagoda Owner Requests Advice
« on: January 20, 2007, 18:44:57 »
I am such a new Pagoda SL Group member I haven't even bought the car yet! My first love was a Mercedes. A 1991 190E 2.6 to be exact. I know just a Baby Benz, but this car was my first and my "partner in crime" for nearly 8 years. I started a detail business on the research I put into waxing it alone. Sadly, my baby was recently totaled by some poor young truck driver having a bad time of it on a raining afternoon. I plan to hold on to the car for sentimental reasons (and restoration when I finish learning body work), but it will not be on the road anytime soon.

In the meantime, the silver lining is that as a result I have stumbled upon what I consider to be a once in a lifetime opportunity. I have first dibs on a right hand drive, automatic, 1965 230SL. The car is a diamond in the rough and needs more than a few things but is 98% complete, including a hardtop. The part of the missing 2% I am most worried about is the torque converter. About 5 years ago when the engine was rebuilt the torque converter disappeared (as did the valve cover), or so the story goes. So far my research has failed to turn up a replacement, even after having our local dealer check NOS stashes in Germany. All of my restoration experience is with British cars (parts are much more plentiful) and I am very curious how difficult this item is to find and what in your opinions is a fair starting price for a partially disassembled European spec. 230SL with some bruises, spent paint and some rust. Many thanks in advance for your help and this great website.

glennard

Re: Potential Pagoda Owner Requests Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 19:51:23 »
Hi, Might have a torque converter- lost in the back of the garage.

jsaylor

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 21:24:45 »
Saw a used valve cover on ebay the other day.

Jim Saylor
Kauai, Hawaii
'65 230SL

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 21:43:38 »
I know someone on Long Island who has an NOS valve cover and a used 230 SL automatic transmission for sale. Drop me a line off-list for details.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 22:32:54 »
If you're looking for advice on a purchase price, that's going to be hard to get from a description.  People who know what they're looking at would have to see it.  

A big variable is when you say, "some rust".  How much, where, and what about rust you can't see?  

Dicey transmission situation, some rust, top issues, and an engine that's been without a valve cover for how long? Without seeing what you're really up against, I might try starting really low and see where that takes you.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 23:14:13 »
Hello starrynight,

The torque converter was the same on many sedans of the era. You should be able to locate one used after researching which models are correct. The 230SL valve cove is unique, however any fuel injected W113 valve cover or valve cover of a 250SE or 280SE 6cyl injected car 1966-1972 will fit and work. The vent tube connection is a bit different but you will me able to hook it up without much difficulty. The oil filler may be a little different also (no big deal).

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Tom230sl

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 22:46:28 »
check with Tom Colitt for a 230sl value cover. I gave him one in like-new condition a few months ago. He might be willing to part with it.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 09:19:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by starrynight

So far my research has failed to turn up a replacement, even after having our local dealer check NOS stashes in Germany.
Have you called the suppliers in our database?
http://www.sl113.org/data/show_table.asp?table_name=usr_parts_and_service_suppliers

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

starrynight

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 16:37:55 »
Hi everyone. Sorry I disappeared for awhile. I moved and my internet computer has been in a dozen pieces. Thanks so much for all the great advice. I will continue checking into the suppliers in the database and if a torque converter does show up in the back of a garage I would be very interested.

As far as the engine is concerned I am not too scared, it was completely rebuilt and has been well covered while awaiting a new valve cover. This being the Midwest the rust around the headlights is significant. I need to go out to where the car is and do a detailed inspection since it has been awhile since I have had a good look at the car.

The car is more than salvageable right now (but not forever in this climate). That said, I also realize that I may be better off restoring a different car. However, this one has grown on me and could probably be acquired for a reasonable price. I have followed its history for several years and it is time that it finally had a good home. The restoration would be gradual but I would also be able to enjoy driving it at the same time. Weighing emotions and love of a good challenge with cold hard cash, not easy. Going over the car with a fine tooth comb should help. Thanks for the information and help!