Author Topic: Carpet Replacement  (Read 17222 times)

bpossel

Carpet Replacement
« on: February 04, 2007, 11:50:51 »
I am considering replacing the carpet in my car.  I currently have the cognac mb-tex with cognac carpet.

I want to remove the ugly large speakers that a PO installed in the rear shelf, so I will need to carpet over the "filled in" holes.  Also, when I removed my A/C last year, it left a chuck of carpet missing on the passenger side where the A/C bracket bolted to the floor.

So, looking for some advice....

I really hate the look of the cognac carpet (orangey, brown... ugh!)

Thinking about a darker tan in square weave...

Has anyone else with the cognac seats, ect, replaced their carpet with an alternate color besides cognac?  If yes, what color?

Any other thoughts, recommendations..?

Also, if I do this, is anyone interested in buying my old carpet?  The PO replaced it a few months before I bought the car, which has been almost 3 years now.  Obviously, will have 2 holes in the rear shelf and a chunk missing on the top section under the pass side dash.

Thanks!
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 11:52:31 by bpossel »

paulr

Re: Carpet Replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 12:14:41 »
I have a Duncan ( navy ) blue car with biscuit ( Light cream colour ) interior including a light coloured carpet. I have seen a dark grey carpet used with the same combination and it looks great. Maybe you might try and think "out of the box " and look at something less immediately obvious. When I have my floor replaced next year I will definitely consider this colour. I would never have thought of it had I not seen it and think that the darker colour ( in your case maybe dark brown ) helps ground the interior.
Good luck.

http://www.silverarrows.co.uk/Car1/car.htm

by the way, I did see a post recently about carpet weft and quality. Look at this too, it's really interesting.

paulr
lovely 1970 280 SL

« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 13:03:48 by paulr »

Douglas

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 13:27:38 »
Bob,

There's also a dark brown multiloop from that era. It's dark brown with black flecks. That should look alright with cognac Tex.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

ramcdonald

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 16:54:10 »
Bob,
I recently replaced my cognac multiloop with "tan" squareweave.  After looking at a couple of multiloop samples along with the squareweave, it (the squareweave) seemed of higher quality and to my eye a better looking carpet even though the squareweave is not "correct" for my '71.

I'll try to attach a photo....never done this before.

best regards,
Rich

Download Attachment: tansquaresmall.jpg
72.87 KB

KevinC

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 19:08:57 »
Bob,

I have a dark brown square weave set for sale if you think that would work. Its never been installed.

Kevin

Download Attachment: PICT0322A.JPG
74.55 KB

Kevin Caputo
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex
2007 Lava Gray Audi Q7

bpossel

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 05:48:08 »
Thanks Everyone!

Great suggestions!  Rich, thanks for the pic with your color combo.  Looks nice and gives me hope that other color combo will work.

Jeff, I like the dark brown, but am leaning more towards a dark tan square weave (#1004).  I rec'd a sample from World A. and it looks pretty nice.

Download Attachment: SQUAREWEAVE.jpg
37.43 KB

Still in the thinking stage right now, so again I do appreciate everyones input.  Thank you!

Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 10:02:21 »
Bob,
I recall that the carpets from this vendor had a low thread count and the backing didn't appear to be optimal. See my pictures in this topic: http://sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=4824
Unfortunately, I haven't kept all my samples but I received some nice ones from GAHH (most expensive and lowest thread count) and from this company (via email request): http://cabrio.de/Englisch/navi.htm. {squareweave = Boucle}
Take your time searching for the one that you really like.  In my case I wanted a carpet with a high thread count, it looks better IMO.
Another important feature is the kind of material (plastic or fabric) and the color used for the binding . The binding color can really change your impression about the carpet color.
Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 10:17:00 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Abbas

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 11:03:39 »
I have always liked darker carpet, it can hide dirt better. If you ever purchase a custom made carpets let them cut additional mats for the driver and passenger sides - ones you can just take out and clean then put back (see picture).

Download Attachment: P1010050.JPG
67.78 KB

This way your base carpet stays in a good shape - especially on the driver side. Actutlly, my carpet has vinly on the other side and the edges as well. This way the carpet/mat stays tight and does not leave any residue on my base carpet.

Abbas

Rodd - I have just fixed it.

280SL W113 1969 Ivory
E280 W124 1995 Silver
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 05:57:51 by Abbas »

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 19:02:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by Abbas

Download Attachment: P1010050+.JPG
62.93 KB
Abbas,
I don't think the "+" sign is a valid character for a file name on this web site.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Vince Canepa

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 06:40:01 »
Alfred - Who did you finally use as a carpet supplier?  Did you use the 7 loops/inch material?

As for the brackets for the tray, the original 7 loops/inch carpet was flexible enough that it just "molded" over the brackets.

One other point.  On my car the screws (original from the factory) are chromed oval head phillips with a "cup" washer underneath.  The tray bottom is plywood so it should not crack.

Vince Canepa
1967 250SL
113.043-10-001543
568H Signal Red
116 Caviar MB-Tex

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 22:05:31 »
Vince,
I bought the carpets from Mrs. Werner {http://www.werner-interieur.de/html/englisch.html} and brought them back with me on a recent trip. And yes, it is a 7 loops/inch carpet and quite pliable. While I was waiting I was watching one of her employees install them in a 250SL and he had no problems stretching the carpet over the tray brackets.
I haven't started my installation yet - the garage temperature is barely above the freezing point right now - but plan to post pictures when I start the process.

Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Vince Canepa

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 06:46:35 »
Thanks Alfred.  I'm amazed at how many suppliers are out there.

Vince Canepa
1967 250SL
113.043-10-001543
568H Signal Red
116 Caviar MB-Tex

bpossel

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 06:40:16 »
I am currently in the process of replacing my carpet.  I know that we all like pictures.  So I will upload some as I am working on this.

With all of the old carpet removed, I am in the process of scraping and cleaning.  One area to point out that needs to be cleaned (to minimize rust formation) is inside the rear wheel well area.  This is easily accessed while all is apart.  With the rear panel removed, there is a plastic barrier that also needs to be removed.  Then you can reach in and scrap with a screw driver, vacuum and hose out the debris.  Most of this work is by “feel”.  Very tight.  See attached pic for area.

Download Attachment: rear-qtr.jpg
59.02 KB

It's amazing how many hidden cavities these cars have.  Lots of areas that can accumulate dirt and rust can form.  There are also a lot of holes, drain holes... if these get clogged, valaa, rust!

...  I have found some minor surface rust on the floor pan corners and a bit on the bottom part of the gas pedal, but overall not bad.

Here is a pic showing the 2 access panels on the trans hump.  One panel on top and one on the side.  When I install the dynamat I will ensure to leave these uncovered.  Also wont glue the carpet down on the trans hump.
Download Attachment: access-panels.jpg
68.77 KB

More to come...
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 07:17:43 by bpossel »

BHap

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Pittsburgh
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 17:06:55 »
Bob - have you done the shifter bushings in the front - under the access panels?  Now would be a good time....

Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa
1970 280SL, white/black 4 speed
Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa
1970 280SL, white/black 4 speed

bpossel

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 06:07:40 »
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the advice.  I will do this!
B.

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

Ben

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 08:40:32 »
quote:
With the rear panel removed, there is a plastic barrier that also needs to be removed.

.........Bob any chance you could post a photo of this part ??

Mine does not have anything there !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

bpossel

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 19:38:59 »
Hi Ben, I'll take a picture and post later.  Tonight I removed my shifter.  Ordered the bushings today and will redo the shifter bushings, as suggested by Bob H.  I will also redo the clip/spring and internal bushings on the shift rod itself.
B.

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

bpossel

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 18:27:04 »
Hi Ben,

After removing my rear panel (inspected by Inspector #662, or is this a number used to match the pieces to the car?) it exposes the opening to the rear wheel well area.  Note the plastic covering.
Download Attachment: rear-panel.jpg
56.63 KB

Download Attachment: plastic-sheet.jpg
62.73 KB

Bob

quote:
Originally posted by Ben

quote:
With the rear panel removed, there is a plastic barrier that also needs to be removed.

.........Bob any chance you could post a photo of this part ??

Mine does not have anything there !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 05:38:01 by bpossel »

Ben

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 05:07:49 »
Wonderful Bob........thanks for that, I appreciate it !

Thanks for taking the time to post that !

Plastic covers are now on my "to do" list..............after I get my car back in about 12 months time !!   :evil:

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

bpossel

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 05:36:19 »
Hey Ben!

Your most welcome!  Not sure if the plastic sheets are "original" or not?  Anyone else ever see these?

Note: what you see in the picture is new plastic.  I used the old ones as a template and cut out some new stuff.  Bought some thicker plastic and used 3M Clear Supper Silcone Sealant to glue back in place.  The brown stuff that you see on the edges is just some old glue.  This old glue is very hard, so I just left it on rather than scrape and then have to repaint to prevent and rust forming.  You can also see lots of glue on the black metal plate in the picture.  Since this is hard also, I am just leaving this on and will glue new carpet on top of it...

Regards,
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 06:20:52 »
Hey Ben,

quote:
..............after I get my car back in about 12 months time !!

You said that 12 month ago!!!!

What's going on  :?:

naj

68 280SL
68 280SL

Ben

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 09:35:52 »
quote:
You said that 12 month ago!!!!

What's going on

.........not very much .......thats the problem !![:(!]

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

bpossel

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 05:59:36 »
Hello All!

Finally got the new carpet install completed this weekend.  Overall, happy.  However, I am a bit disappointed in the "fit" of some of the pieces.  I purchased the carpet from World A.  I plan on calling them today and seeing what can be done.  The main issue is with the "fit" of the rear shelf carpet.  The edge of the larger piece is not straight.. Hopefully they will redo it? ( :) Update: Spoke to Mike.  Very nice!  They are going to recut and send new piece to me, no charge...  no hassles...  great service!)

As you can see by the attached picture, I decided to go with what they call a dark tan square weave.  Not correct for the cognac, but I didnt like the orangey, brown, correct color.  I also didnt glue the carpet down to the trans tunnel, so it's a bit wavy.  Not sure yet how to fix that?

Anyway, the picture gives those of you with a cognac interior another option to look at...

Lots of work to replace, especially scraping out the old floor material, but in the end, well worth it!

Regards, Bob

Download Attachment: new-carpet.jpg
72.88 KB

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 10:52:17 by bpossel »

Khurram Darugar

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 15:36:41 »
I dont have the plastic sheet.  :evil:  Any idea what its function is?
Kay

Kay
Euro 280sl LHD Auto.

bpossel

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 05:57:28 »
Hello Kay,

I dont really know what the plastic sheets purpose is.  I just replaced the old ones, what was there when I removed the rear side panels.  They looked original, or at least old...

Anyone else know there purpose?
Bob

quote:
Originally posted by KD

I dont have the plastic sheet.  :evil:  Any idea what its function is?
Kay

Kay
Euro 280sl LHD Auto.

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320