Author Topic: Black Pagoda on ebay  (Read 3965 times)

norton

Black Pagoda on ebay
« on: March 19, 2007, 01:03:28 »

Douglas

Re: Black Pagoda on ebay
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 07:01:27 »
This is a great example of how people throw around the term "show quality." The seller really should demonstrate exactly what constitutes "show quality" workmanship in his pix and description rather than just making grandiose claims. This Pagoda may be a fine example, but the pix are not detailed enough to assume that.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

Chad

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 08:05:04 »
The photos do show the wood to look somewhat ratty to me. The engine bay looks a bit sub-show quality from the small frame and low-res pics he took of it. The black paint doesn't have that eye popping deep shine (but most people can't take a great photo so it just might be the photo composition).  We all know that black is one of the hardest to do right, and for a show it has to be right, meaning perfect body panels and perfect paint under that unforgiving black.  I have not seen an antique black car that didn't show some of the waves like nobody's business.

A pure guess  is that without further info, this car is a nice driver that, hopefully, has most of the mechanicals sorted out.  The inquiries and bids should follow appropriately and probably will. But maybe I judge it harshly at first look because of the bumper over-riders and the US headlights with side-marker lights... not the way the car was designed originally, IMO.

Douglas is right about mistrusting the claims.  

Ebay is 80% about faith and biting the bait.

1967 230SL
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 08:10:16 by Chad »

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 12:22:37 »
Buyer beware:  Check the soft top cover release.  Looks like the cable might be broken or something.  One pic of the interior shows the handle in a bad position.
Walter
1967 220SL-diesel

nick350

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 13:31:11 »
show what?

the problem with people that tell 'porkies'* about one thing is that they tend to do the same about something else. This car looks like a good driver ( whatever that looks like ) but it would take some work to get it up to show. Why say that? Why not just say what it is?  It's still nice looking and I would be very proud to have such a car, not my colour combo particulaly and SO cheap. Ten grand (£)...I've got that in my pocket! ** You guys are so lucky!

* porkies = pork pies = lies
** see above

Nick350
r107 SL red
w113 SL white
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 13:37:52 by nick350 »

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 14:01:43 »
The fact is we are a pretty tough crowd. Not only can we pick apart just about any Pagoda in no time flat -- but we are especially good at hearing "horsepucky" when we hear it. Words like Unmolested, Original, Pristine (sorry new guy), Concours, etc can really cause our collective dander to rise.

Now, the real sad part is -- I am up against it if I ever try to sell my car. First of all, you all will recognize it... Second, if one focuses on the things its not (but once was), I couldn't give it away. So I guess I gotta keep it...

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Douglas

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 10:32:06 »
Actually, I don't think we were very tough on the car in question. The vehicle is nowhere near "show quality," but nobody took the seller to task detail by detail. Too easy in this case. My point was that this term "show quality" has become laughable hyperbole.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 18:06:57 »
True Douglas. I was only speaking generally. This one seems like a good buy at 20 -- but agreed it doesn't quite live up to the hype.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

hauser

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 21:57:43 »
The car has been listed on ebay several times by the same seller.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

Chad

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 22:55:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by hauser

The car has been listed on ebay several times by the same seller.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

With all of that showing on eBay it is by the virtue of definition a "show" quality car.

1967 230SL