Author Topic: (Valve) Train Wreck?  (Read 3756 times)

glennard

(Valve) Train Wreck?
« on: March 28, 2007, 09:32:23 »
The surprises under the hood continue to amaze! Took the valve cover off a 230SL to find- 1, #5 inlet ball stud - bent! and 2, the pressure piece on #6 inlet to be 1/2 the thickness of the other 11(its ball stud backed out, but no cam action). But, so far the rocker arms all appeared to be similar.  Anybody find similar surprises under the valve cover?

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: (Valve) Train Wreck?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 10:33:42 »
I have seen where the engine has been over revved and since the valve are so tough(9mm and 11mm stems) and the stems are vertical when the valves hit the pistons the valve train bends or the cam towers break rather than bending the valves.

enochbell

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 12:27:34 »
I can't wait to hear what others think caused the bent ball stud, very weird.  In the meantime if you have any trouble locating a replacement I have a few new ones collecting dust and would be glad to send a couple your way,

g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 20:32:07 »
Just curious: How did the engine run?
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

Ben

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 06:26:00 »
Wow !

I should imagine the rocker arm would be the first thing to break if there was any piston/valve contact !

Unless somebody used a builders tool to adjust valve lash at some point. Sure sounds like somebody who shouldn't be let near a car let alone a W113 engine was having a go !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

glennard

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 08:15:05 »
Currently it is the 'Putrescent Purgatorial Pagoda'.  Short block is frozen up, soaking in PB Blaster and Motor Flush.  Cam shaft is soaking.    Have not looked at valves yet.  Hope springs--- yada,yada,yada!

quote:
Originally posted by theengineer

Just curious: How did the engine run?

:?:

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 17:38:45 »
I had heard once that the cam towers were the weak link and they were designed to break when the engine was  over revved. Having worked on a vintage Mercedes around the world rally car that broke the towers twice once in Minnesota and once in Turkey I tend to believe the story.

I would assume that the head has been off before and it has had a problem with one valve which would explain the odd shim. when you cut a valve and seat the valve moves up in the head and if you don't grind a little off the valve stem you will need a much thinner shim.

If I had to guess I would say it had a burnt valve at one time.