Author Topic: How to fit this electric antenna?(And what is it?)  (Read 6232 times)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
How to fit this electric antenna?(And what is it?)
« on: May 01, 2007, 11:26:08 »
After 2 hours spent trawling through the forum searching electric antenna I've learned a great deal. However, I would be grateful for some more info.

On a whim, I purchased this electric antenna on ebay for about $40. I have no idea what make it is (it has no manufacturer info whatsoever - just says 'Automatic' and has the 3 stars on it. If anyone knows what it is, I'd be grateful - but I suspect it's just some generic thing, although it was once fitted to a 113. Allegedly).

Download Attachment: DSCN1222.jpg
27.05 KB

Anyway, I'd like to fit it to my '66 230 with a Europa II. It has this opening in the passenger side footwell, (taken from 66andblue's v helpful post on the subject - thanks for another bunch of brilliant photos, Alfred; hope you don't mind me borrowing).

http://www.sl113.org/forums/uploaded/66andBlue/20051120221439_AUTA2040_installation.jpg

I have the following questions upon which I would welcome some answers:

1. With ref to the above photo, can anyone tell me how I fit the antenna? I've read about brackets that have a U or V or Z shape, but haven't see one. I don't know how I affix the thing to the panel and what sort of bracket I need to take the weight (which is quite a bit). Can anyone describe the bracket I need to make (a photo would be superb) and tell me where I affix it on the antenna and where I affix the bracket to the car? (This is my main stumbling block)

2. Which of these wires does what and to what part of my Europa II radio should I connect them? (Apologies for the photo - what you're looking at is 3 wires: a yellow/oragne one that protrudes from a-top the housing and which has been cut v short; and a blue and green (or brown) one that are longer.  

Download Attachment: DSCN1224.jpg
26.7 KB

3. The antenna has a nut on the flip side (shown here). Can I hope to take it apart and if so, can I give it a pre-installation service?

Download Attachment: DSCN1224.jpg
26.7 KB

4. The antenna has a sort of 'tube' (see photo) that comes out of the bottom. It's aluminium like the rest of the cast housing. Am I correct in assuming (having read lots of other posts) that this is for drainage? If so, should I be connecting a rubber pipe to it? It also has a sort of plug and a locking screw as shown in this photo. Can anyone tell me what it's for?

Download Attachment: DSCN1223.jpg
32.24 KB

Thanks in advance for anything anyone can tell me. I know there's lots out there on this, but I've done the decent thing and had a good rummage - I just can't find the answer and I'd like to get this in the car and replace the utterly crappy thing that besmirches my forward fight wing at present.

JH
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 11:51:18 by jameshoward »
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

al_lieffring

Re: How to fit this electric antenna?(And what is it?)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 15:02:04 »
James

What is it? you ask.
Dont take this the wrong way, but what it looks like to me is a waste of time.

It is an aftermarket antenna. These are usualy cheeply made and have no repairable parts. Most of these aftermarket antennas have a relay that mounts under the dash, It appears to be missing on this one.

The Hirshman motor antenna that came as a factory option resembles a large rectangular aluminum box. The mast assembly on the original Hirshman was designed to be replaceable but was diecontinued many years ago as are the other internal parts that almost always need to be replaced.

Because it is so difficult to access the antenna when mounted I think it would be wise for you to just go and get a new motor antenna assembly. They are generic and availavle at any auto electronics supplier.

There are usualy 3 connections to make when installing an aftermarket antenna.

1. +12 volts from the #1 fuse circuit. Usualy to a red wire.
2. -12 volts (ground) usualy to a green wire.
3. Radio switch connection. Usualy to a blue wire. There are two recessed male spade connectors on the remote amp box of a Europa II
either of these will activate the antenna relay when the radio is turned on.
4. coaxial cable. plugs into back of radio.

Al

66 230sl
113-042-10-014715
904/396 blue, Ivory Tex
condition: not-as-rusty-as-before-bucket

rob walker

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 02:26:42 »
Al, on the same subject should the Hirshman be activated on the ignition switch or should it only be activated when the radio is turned on.
I have a discretely mounted, by previous owner, modern radio/CD player which will come out soon and an Ipod connector is somehow fitted to the Becker once this is reconnected, but suprised that the antenna raises as soon as the ignition is on.

Rob Walker
1968 280SL papyrus white/green leather
Spain and Turkey

al_lieffring

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 07:03:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by rob walker

Al, on the same subject should the Hirshman be activated on the ignition switch or should it only be activated when the radio is turned on.
I have a discretely mounted, by previous owner, modern radio/CD player which will come out soon and an Ipod connector is somehow fitted to the Becker once this is reconnected, but suprised that the antenna raises as soon as the ignition is on.

Rob Walker
1968 280SL papyrus white/green leather
Spain and Turkey

Hi Rob
Yes a motor antenna should raise when the radio switch is turned on

When an accesory sound equipment has been installed there is usualy a rat's nest of wires that need to be sorted out to get the system back to it's original configuration.

The relay wire that activates (raises) the antenna should be plugged into one of the two recessed flat connectors on the Becker EuropaII's
amplifier box. This is next to the speaker plugs. I dont recall what color the relay wire would be on a factory installed motor antenna, white?

Al

66 230sl
113-042-10-014715
904/396 blue, Ivory Tex
condition: not-as-rusty-as-before-bucket

al_lieffring

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 10:01:26 »
Here are some pics to help make things a little more clear

A factory installed motor antenna in a 113 chassis would have this style case.

This particular antenna was taken out of a Porsche, The motor case in a Pagoda would be the same but the mast would be about 4" longer.
When replacement parts became obsolete for these they were often replaced with 116 chassis antenna motors or more often aftermarket antennas.

This is the switched power output plug on the power amp for a Becker Mexico or Europa II. On Becker monoral radios there is a similar connector on the back of the radio near the antenna jack.
This circuit will not drive a motor directly, it must go through a relay first. On the factory Hirshmans the relay is built into the motor assembly, aftermarket antennas usually have a separate relay that mounts under the dash.

Al

66 230sl
Tour de Cure 50km unicycle ride to benefit Diabetes research.
http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=personal&fr_id=4372&px=2737950
Click link to sponsor my ride on May 20th.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 11:14:13 »
Al,

No offence taken. I bought it on a whim to see if it would work. I have to replace the thing that's there because the existing one doesn't collapse into the wing completely. (Believe it or not, it's not designed to do so).

I may have a go with the thing I have so would be grateful if you could tell me how the Hirschmann, say, it secured to the footwell wall (that U and V or Z bracket) I'd be grateful.

Thanks for the photos.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL