Author Topic: Can someone help me with the trunk lock?  (Read 2777 times)

chytaan

Can someone help me with the trunk lock?
« on: May 16, 2007, 18:34:21 »

Hello, i have a 1969 280sl, that is in great condition. One of the imperfection is the trunk lock.  The key seems to turn and turn without opening it.  I was told by the vintage mercedes mechanic that worked on this car that i needed a new lock. So i ordered a new lock.

The problem is he doesnt know the best way to approach the lock problem, and he thinks that it might need some rough procedure to unlock it.

I called several locksmith, several of them told me that they are also unsure of how to approach it, and the ones that are willing to try to work on it, are afraid they might do some damage (i.e drilling), specially on a nice car like that.

Can anyone experienced with this problem, guide me on how to open the trunk or if there is a release somehow, or how to replace the lock.

Thank you

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
Re: Can someone help me with the trunk lock?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 15:20:27 »
Chytaan,
You mentioned you have a new lockset for the trunk.  Is this the tumbler assembly along with the key?
If so then you can drill out the old lock and release the old locking pins, which will fall into the new cavity from the drill bit.  Then you can insert a screwdriver with a curved end to push the lock release in.  
Once the trunk is opened, remove the trunk latch assembly on the body.  There are two small 10mm nuts with vinylock material in them and then the trunk lock escutcheon will come off.  Take your time with this and do it right.  I have found hammering the lock pin inside will work, but I dont know how much of a new lock assembly you have.
Walter
1967 220SL-diesel

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 15:37:21 »
Chytaan,
  In many cars you can access the trunk through another method such as by removing the rear seat. The Pagoda trunk is sealed and there is no other way in there except through the lock.
Good luck,
Ted 1969 280SL

chytaan

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 18:12:28 »
waltklatt:

The new lock that i got is similar to the lock on the car.  My car keys work properly on the new lock.

From looking at the new lock, i can see two screws (one on each side of the center button).  

Do i drill directly above those two screws, or do i drill right in the center key button?

thank you

chytaan

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 21:02:21 »
Fixed... we had to drill the lock with several different instruments.

But its fixed and is like new again :)