Author Topic: Newbie Needs Help  (Read 3475 times)

azbubba

Newbie Needs Help
« on: June 30, 2007, 13:59:02 »
Ok just got my first mercedes.It is a 1966 230 sl .Euro headlights and gauges.manual transmission. Paid $2500 ! with both tops.Please be gentle as I am new to the car restoration hobby.I have a number of questions but I will post the most important ones first.
1. The body is straight with only a small  amount of rust on the bottom rocker on the passenger side. This car has been in los angeles it's whole life..My big issue is the engine. It has a 1966 250 block with heads from the early 1970s that allow use of dual carbs.The engine had a valve job 500 miles ago and runs great so I am inclined to leave it be. How much does this affect the value of the car?
2.The car was painted red somewhere along the way but the dash is a cream color so I assume that this is the original color of the car. It has a brown interior. What is the best approach to restoring the car? Should I go back to the original color?
3.The car has been monkeyed with quite a bit due to the fact that the previous owner was a mechanical engineer and never wanted to spend a dime on any mercedes parts.
I have fixed quite a few things already and have the transmission and rear end in the shop. The one part I am having trouble locating is the shifter. He removed the entire thing and installed some ugly aftermarket junk.Any idea where I might locate the shifter shaft and knob?
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Download Attachment: 230sl 1.jpg
28.95 KB

Download Attachment: 230sl 2.jpg
14.96 KB

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Newbie Needs Help
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 15:20:47 »
Actually I think this car is o.k. I would go for a slow restoration, why not. If you do the work yourself, and don't go crazy on new parts but, rather, source good used where possible, and shop around for paint work, it should be a fun and affordable experience.
The engine being a carburetted one does affect the value obviously. How much is hard to say; if it runs great, and you don't intend to sell the car in the next, say, 10 years, then the effect on the value to you is nil. On the other hand, if you do want to sell it, you will get the same argument that you probably confronted the previous owner with. The 250 block can probably be converted back to fuel injection.
Check the homepage, databases, parts and service supplier list. There are used parts sellers in there that could probably help you to a shifter. You can try our own Dr Benz (search in the forums for his posts, and you can send him an email).
I would seriously consider changing the color back to the original cream, which looks good to me from the photos.

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 15:49:14 »
I'd say a lot depends on your budget. I agree with Cees that it's a good candidate for a slow but steady restoration. I am up in the air about the color. Depends on where a paint job falls on your priority list. If you are going to redo the interior, I'd probably stay with red or any other color you desire. If you are staying with the brown, I'd opt for the cream. The engine -- if it runs good -- wouldn't be on the top of my list...but at some point I'd consider going back to FI. As for the shifter: least of your troubles.

If it were me, this is how my "cosmetic" list would start off (based on your pics)...

1. Repair that rusted area -- hope its benign and limited. Polish and shine exterior paint and chrome. (chrome appears to be all there which is good news).

2. Replace the carpet. Finish off the door trim. Possibly recover seats.

3. Replace wheels with 113-correct style.

My "mechanical" list would include the basics:

brakes
tires
suspension items
cooling system
tune-up & all maintenance items (filters,fluids, seals).

Sounds like a lot of fun! Better get wife some roses ASAP...(then order some visors...)

James
63 230SL
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 15:50:35 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

Kemal

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 16:31:44 »
Hi Larry '
Welcome aboard , $2500 " WOW " ...
You wont find a better place then this to get the best advice , take it , & bring her back to her original glory .
Good Luck .

Kemal
280 SL Manual 69
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 16:37:28 by kemal shah »
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

azbubba

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 16:37:26 »
Thanks a lot. I did not expect such a fast response. I have already changed the wheels and found the correct hubcaps and beauty rings. I have also done the brakes, battery, and the fuel pump. I am going to pull the radiator next week. I cannot do very much of the mechanical work but I have a mechanic who is very good and relatively cheap (but a little crazy).
I am good at the electrical work and cosmetic stuff.This will be a daily driver for me but I want to do the best restoration I can. I am in no hurry. Already tried the roses but my wife knows better. I already have a large collection of antique radios and the last thing I need to do is start collecting cars as they take up a lot more space. One is my limit. Thanks again
Larry

bsimaz

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 06:55:52 »
WOW is right.  I'd buy another if I could find one for ~2500.  (another $100 in roses and gifts).   Great deal.   Everyone here is great about giving advice and helping.   Taking it slow and doing most of the work yourself will keep the bills down.   These cars are pretty easy to work on if you are a 'hands on' person.   Good luck.

Bill Simaz
'66 230sl
Back on the Road