Author Topic: Hood Adjustment  (Read 3493 times)

ptomey

Hood Adjustment
« on: July 06, 2007, 07:55:55 »
I've tried this a few times and still can't get it right. The gap at the grill end of the hood is too big and at the winshield end, it's tight -- basically touching when closed. I've loosened the bolts that attach the hinges to the underside of the hood but I can't seem to get the range (is it a floating nut plate inside the hood?)of movement I need to get the hood aligned properly.

Please tell me there is a trick!

Paul Tomey
Tierra Verde,FL

1968 280SL Light Ivory (Enjoy)
2002 Porsche 996TT (Track)
2003 Van Dieman Formula Car (Race)
2006 Yukon Denali (Tow Cars and Haul Kids)

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: Hood Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 08:31:52 »
when I re installed my hood, I had some help and some plastic wedges.

I also had the black grills out and the air cleaner,  loosened the bolts closed the hood and used the wedges to get the gap close to what I wanted.

tightened the bolts with the hood closed, then tried to open and close the hood.  it took a few times but it finally  worked.

Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

enochbell

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 08:20:08 »
Paul,

There is also some adjustment available by moving the hinge bracket (the arm attached to the body, not the arm attached to the hood).  I don't know if that is intended to be used to align the hood but I do know that it worked for me.

Best,
g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 10:08:35 »
Enochbell, the adjustment you speak of on the body is for the up and down adjustment of the hood.  The lateral adjustment that Paul needs is the hood to hinge adjustment.  
Paul, take the grille, battery and air filter assembly out of the car.  Then have someone help you hold the hood to the correct location and you lie on the floor with your arm up to the underside of the hood to tighten the 2 10mm bolts holding the hood to each hinge.  The battery side is easy to do, but the air filter side will be a bit of a contortionist move.  If the gap at the back is still too tight, then the hood release catch in the rear needs to be adjusted.
Walter
1967 220SL-diesel