Author Topic: Bumper paint  (Read 3838 times)

wgl

Bumper paint
« on: July 10, 2007, 20:48:59 »
Mercedes at the time of assembly painted the inside of the bumpers white. Does anyone have a paint that will replicate that color?
Thanks for thinking about this.

Bill Lindquist
280 SL Signal Red
Parchment MB Tex

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Re: Bumper paint
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 02:09:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by wgl

Mercedes at the time of assembly painted the inside of the bumpers white. Does anyone have a paint that will replicate that color? /Bill Lindquist

The paint inside the chrome fittings on older M-B is (close to) DB 158; Weissgrau (whitegray). It seems just sprayed on in the factory and does not provide any significant corrosion protection. We speculate here that the factory at one time happened to have a large stock of such paint and just decided to use it... :D
Note that DB 158 out of a can is too glossy, so you may want to mix some flattening agent in it to decrease the gloss.

/Hans in Sweden
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 07:22:17 by mbzse »
/Hans S

Douglas

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 05:15:11 »
If memory serves, I used Rustoleum in an almond white. It was pretty darn close as I recall.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

bpossel

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 06:03:36 »
Here's a picture that I saved and used to match the color when I sprayed the inside of my bumbers after I had them rechromed.

Download Attachment: bumper_color_158_grey.jpg
36.03 KB

Here's another picture showing the color (note: not my pic or bumper).
Download Attachment: bumper.jpg
37.27 KB

Bob
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 06:09:03 by bpossel »

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 15:03:25 »
I second Douglas Kim's choice of Rustoleum Almond White.  It's very close, easily available and offers good coverage.