Author Topic: horn question, and my restoration project  (Read 2657 times)

Ann

horn question, and my restoration project
« on: July 21, 2007, 23:46:13 »
I have my 1970 280 SL (euro)at a body shop in Van Nuys, CA being painted. This is the first car I am restoring.
The owner is taking forever to do the work (5 mos. & half done). He is leaving his shop while he is on vacation with nephew in charge. They call me in to discuss paint colors, but really what they wanted to know was would I be "interested in selling my (original) horn" off the car. Aaakkk.
I am worried they might take it and other parts as well, now. Can you tell me where I would locate the horn under the hood, so I might keep an eye on it? Are the horns going for an extra premium on say- eBay?
 What do you think about taking the car away from them? It's currently in parts (windshield/trunk/hood off/hard top off, chrome off, etc and sitting in primer. How long should it take to get a car painted?  It seems to be a good shop, but after this last thing I am getting nervous. And the $64K question- how do I get them to finish this work ASAP so I can get my car back?
Please email me at:
lavagirl513@yahoo.com
Thanks in advance.

Ann

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: horn question, and my restoration project
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 02:09:38 »
Hi Ann,

Welcome. You asked for opinions, and there are many on this forum far better placed than I to offer a view on restoration. I bought a '66 230SL that was ok-ish on the surface - good paint, OK interior, OK chrome, but which had not been well maintained. I've therefore spent the last 8 months getting it on the road, and taking it off again to fix stuff. So the work does take a while to do, but then, I also have a day job and can only work at weekends. My point is that there will be delays getting parts, etc, but if you're paying top whack (are you?) I would have thought you should see real progress. As for painting the car, it does not take long at all - but getting it ready to paint can take a very long time. Preparation is vital and if rushed the finish could be poor. It depends on how much restoration of the body needs to be done first. And how much you're paying.

The horns are located under the car at the front. Stick your head underneath the front bumper and you'll see them just forward of the front wheels and spread apart - I've attached a photo, below; the horns are the 2 prominent round things. It's odd that they asked if you want to sell them as they don't fetch a premium like the lights or chrome. Your restoration will result in some old parts being taken off and replaced, so they may remove bits, but in Germany when that's done, the old bits are always given back to you at the end of the work.

Download Attachment: horns.jpg
25.32 KB

Bottom line: good restoration takes time and needs to have lots of money thrown at it; I guess the more you pay the faster the work is done assuming the shop is very good. Same with a good paint finish. I suggest you ask around here and see who lives near your shop and get a view on them. Also, communicate with the owner. At the end of the day, if you don't trust the shop and have tried to talk it through, I'd take the car away and get a recommend from someone on this forum.

Good luck.

JH

James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Douglas

Re: horn question, and my restoration project
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 07:28:47 »
James & Ann,

The horns do indeed fetch a premium on places like ebay. The going rate is more than $100 each, as I recall.

Here's an example that's for sale right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCEDES-111-113-220-230-250-280-300-SL-SE-BOSCH-HORN_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ10076QQihZ014QQitemZ330145319121QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Here's the cheaper horn from a 114 sedan. The sound isn't nearly as nice and the case is different, so make sure you don't find these on your car. It would be easy to swap them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-114-250-Horn-Assembly_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ140743QQihZ019QQitemZ290141762520QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

(By the way, many people only have one functioning horn on their car, so make sure both of yours work.)

Good luck.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 12:10:22 by Douglas »