Author Topic: removing speedometer  (Read 2961 times)

duemetri

removing speedometer
« on: July 30, 2007, 07:17:56 »
Ciao to all,
I have a problem that my odemeter does not work. I read that I have to check the cable, but I do not know how to remove the gauage from the dashboard. I would also like to clean the glass from the inside.
Help anyone
Thank you
Danilo

I am the lucky owner of a sexy 230sl 1963 model

duemetri

Re: removing speedometer
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 07:36:31 »
forgot, ita a beautiful 230sl from 1963

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 10:30:23 »
Buon giorno Duemetri,

I too have a 63 -- we are the lucky ones... (just kiddin' fellas).

Anyway, I think the only easy (if thats the word I want) way to get the speedometer out is to first take out the tach and then the center gauge. All the gauges must be disconnected from behind the dash -- then they will slide out from the front.

I believe a search here for tach or speedometer removal will yield some helpful tips.

The trickiest part is getting your hand behind the dash board. This is usually done by laying on your back -- legs sticking out of driver's door -- head firmly wedged into the brake pedal. Some advocate removing the steering wheel -- I never have. Buona fortuna!

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

psmith

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 22:13:34 »
Hi Danilo,

When I was doing the dreaded heater lever replacement, I had the speaker, radio, and heater control levers out and it seemed that I could have gotten to the back of the speedometer to remove it.  However, I didn't try it so I can't be totally sure.

If you do take them all out be very careful of the center gauge.  It has an oil line connected to the engine and can spill all over you and your interior!

Pete S.

duemetri

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 02:12:14 »
Thank you so far, I really hope to make it!!

Download Attachment: vr06.jpg
29.45 KB

Download Attachment: intjpg.jpg
26.6 KB