Author Topic: Right or Left Side Mirror for 230SL  (Read 7846 times)

Eryck

Right or Left Side Mirror for 230SL
« on: October 03, 2007, 10:42:35 »
I did a search but couldn't find an answer so please help.  This might sound silly but how do you tell whether a gooseneck mirror is for the right or left side?  Intuition tells me that the gooseneck leans out but am not sure.

Haven't had good luck with this.  Bought one from a German Ebay seller.  I specifically asked if it's original MB part and he said yes.  Well not so, it didn't have the 3 star and 110L inscription and the finish was so so.

So I bought another one on Ebay from a US seller last week.  It's original but now I think it might be for the left side.  I want a right side (driver side RHD) since I now have a 280SL mirror on my 230 and want to get it right.

The number on the mercedes box says Ruckblick 110 810 09 16

Any advice would be appreciated.

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

zanone

Re: Right or Left Side Mirror for 230SL
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 12:33:24 »
Eryck, I have a 66 230 SL with the passenger side mirror. The driver side or left mirror's neck angles left or to the outside a few degrees from the base and the passenger side or right mirror angles to the right to the outside from the base. The right side mirror has an "R" on the bottom of the base but no part number..

Zanone

al_lieffring

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 15:21:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by Eryck

I did a search but couldn't find an answer so please help.  This might sound silly but how do you tell whether a gooseneck mirror is for the right or left side?  Intuition tells me that the gooseneck leans out but am not sure.

Haven't had good luck with this.  Bought one from a German Ebay seller.  I specifically asked if it's original MB part and he said yes.  Well not so, it didn't have the 3 star and 110L inscription and the finish was so so.

So I bought another one on Ebay from a US seller last week.  It's original but now I think it might be for the left side.  I want a right side (driver side RHD) since I now have a 280SL mirror on my 230 and want to get it right.

The number on the mercedes box says Ruckblick 110 810 09 16

Any advice would be appreciated.

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

110 810 09 16

The eigth place of the 10 digit Mercedes part number will be odd for parts that go on the right side and even for parts that go on the left side

Al Lieffring
66 230Sl
New blue top just arrived
new gas tank on order
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 15:27:30 by al_lieffring »

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 16:49:20 »
Uhm, Al ...

... Isn't it the other way round?
Odd numbers (7th and 8th digit) are for left side and even numbers for the right side ...
The numbers for the both mirrors changed a few years ago.
A1108100916 is the old parts number which changed into 0716 and thus means left-side.

Ouch !!!
Just checked the parts availability on the DB homepage:
A1108100716 is the left side rearview mirror and is currently priced € 60.35.
But the right side was a very few years ago (1997) the same price, now it is slightly above ...
A1108100816 (€ 182.07) ... :x
Seems to be that they run out of the part soon...

The gooseneck mirrors can be easily distinguished.  :| The left-side neck  (i.e. the upper round attachment for the mirror itself) turns rightwards to the car; the right-side neck turns leftwards to the car.
The mirror backside itself (the round chromed back of the mirror) says "110 L" for the left side and "110 R" for the right (although you could theoretically switch both). BTW, it's not the 3-pointed Mercedes star you see on these parts; it's any brand logo of the supplier. Don't know who that was... Neither Happich nor Huf nor Bomoro ...

Oh boy, good luck for hunting!

Best,

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

Eryck

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 19:54:15 »
Looks like second time screw up.

Based on what I just read, I think I got the left side mirror instead of RHS. The inscription says 110L and it's upside down on the right.

Last question (maybe):  

Does the right side mirror on RHD cars = right passenger side mirror on LHD cars?

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 02:38:55 »
Eryck,

quote:
Does the right side mirror on RHD cars = right passenger side mirror on LHD cars?

Yes,
You want a 110 810 0816.

naj

68 280SL
68 280SL

al_lieffring

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 06:58:30 »
oops

I am dyslectic (not joking) so left and right is an intangible concept. ;)

Here is a photo to help clear things up (I hope)

When we owned our shop 25+ years ago my brother ran the parts dept and he would buy boxes of returned and overstock items for cents on the dollar from MB dealers, one box had about a dozen assorted mirror posts for early and late sedans and SLs the right handed one was the only one I had ever seen for a 230sl. Now they are being reprodued and it seems every car on Ebay has a pair of right and left mirrors.

Al Lieffring
66 230Sl
New blue top just arrived
new gas tank on order
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 08:27:43 by al_lieffring »