Author Topic: How would you like a new engine?  (Read 33289 times)

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
How would you like a new engine?
« on: October 24, 2007, 08:34:36 »
Bought a '95 E320. I'm really impressed with the power and torque of the engine. It's a straight six with a cast iron block and is interchangeable with my original engine. But it puts out 217 HP and more torque. The transmission starts in 1st gear and is much smoother than what I have now in my '69 280SL. It also has a torque converter that gives impressive acceleration from stand-still. It looks like the engine will fit. It is two inches shorter, but the transmission is 3 inches longer. The shift lever can remain the same, so that the appearance inside the car remains original. How would you value such a car?

'69 280SL,Signal Red,Automatic,retired engineer, West-Seattle,WA
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: How would you like a new engine?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 11:00:12 »
Are you asking how much one would value a '69 280SL with an engine/transmission from a '95 E320 ?

I imagine that if no permanent changes are made to the pagoda (ones that cannot be easily reversed), and all original components are stored somewhere, then the value would remain undiminished... maybe even be higher... Compared to the mechatronic conversions, this would be a steal for someone interested in something environmentally friendlier than the original setup.  

I've contemplated this from time to time, given that the 230sl heads are increasingly hard to find now. Put another way, I'd pay good money for a detailed step-by-step write-up from a successful conversion!

Of course, I'd need to find a suitable manual transmission before even considering it ...  :D

Waqas ('Wa-kaas') in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 12:06:50 »
For me it's all about the 130.983 engine in my car. There is something to be said for the elegance of the original engine. although way ahead of it's time in 1970 it was and is a reliable and beautiful thing.

Besides it will still run after a neuclear attack.

RBYCC

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 12:16:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by theengineer

Bought a '95 E320. I'm really impressed with the power and torque of the engine. It's a straight six with a cast iron block and is interchangeable with my original engine. But it puts out 217 HP and more torque. The transmission starts in 1st gear and is much smoother than what I have now in my '69 280SL. It also has a torque converter that gives impressive acceleration from stand-still. It looks like the engine will fit. It is two inches shorter, but the transmission is 3 inches longer. The shift lever can remain the same, so that the appearance inside the car remains original. How would you value such a car?

'69 280SL,Signal Red,Automatic,retired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

The M104-24V is a bullet proof motor derived from the M103-12V.
Only typical problem is a propensity for a head gasket to leak.

It uses the Mercedes late model 722 transmission that offers a first gear start.
Some have a S/W switch to start in second in winter conditions

You would have to transfer all of the engine management electronics including O2 sensor as the engine has Bosch HFM electronic fuel injection.

Check your space on the W113 engine compartment drivers side as the HFM injection sticks out a bit.
Also check the height of the M104-24V to the top of the cam cover.

ED A.
1971 280SL
1988 300CE TWIN TURBO
1990 C43 AMG
2003 G55 AMG

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 12:18:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by Shvegel

Besides it will still run after a neuclear attack.

Yes, but once the nukes go off, where would we get our gasoline from?  :mrgreen:
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

seattle_Jerry

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 15:08:30 »
I'm glad I live by The Engineer so I can witness the process :)

How is the depth of the engine below the mounts. I remember that 6.9 conversion where it stuck down.

I'd say who cares about value as long as you are keeping the car.

As long as it can be reversed you can sell it at what you think is fair price with the engine in or swap back if you can't get that price.

I wonder how that engine compares horsepower to weight with the one out of the 190E-2.6?

What are you a retired engineer of, btw?

1967 230SL Havana Brown Auto with A/C

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 17:04:08 »
quote:"Besides it will still run after a neuclear attack"
He didn't mean "nuclear attack". A "neuclear" thing is different: It's real clean - leaves the roads usable & the gas pumps running. Just the right environment for W113's.
To Seattle Jerry: "What kind of Engineer"? Well, yesterday I couldn't spell it, today I are one. But I served an apprenticeship as mechanic. You've seen the movie? then went to engr. school. Designed a few things and when they said:"Build it", I did. But now I'm old, fat & balding and, because women don't want me, work in my garrage. And if you want to help me pull the engine, I could use some help!

seattle_Jerry

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 19:23:01 »
I always think of Bronson in "The Mechanic" when I see "The Engineer" I should change mine to "The Graduate" since I was a plastics engineer.

So you are serious about this project and ready to start tearing things out? That was fast!

Beat everyone to the punch and go fuel cell. I might have some time to help this winter. I have a commercial painting company and things are always slower in winter. I also have a Master's thesis to finish  :x

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 20:19:43 »
Actually I did mean nuclear. It's a good thing that my living is not dependant on either typing or spelling.  

It's all about the EMP's baby.

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 21:08:08 »
No, Jerry, I'm just thinking about it. The engine I have in the car now appears to have been rebuilt. It's nicely painted, has Mahle first oversize pistons in it and very little wear. I measured the holes and find that they are still within the wear limits. Of course, you can only really tell after the cylinders have been honed. But the engine wasn't broken in properly and I know that the rings have not seated in all cylinders. There were other indications that, whoever did the work, wasn't too experienced. I did replace the head and have a 09 cam for it. I never liked the transmission, although I did some work on it and it shifts quite smooth now. It has hydraulic clutch instead of a torque converter. I heard that the Germans were prohibited from building torque converters after the war. A torque converter multiplies the engine torque by about two times and that's just what that car needs. So I'm thinking. The test of my contemplations is, of course, a successful conversion. So, what would the group think, if I'd come up with a better drive train? It wouldn't show from the outside.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 02:22:00 »
1995 would be about the time that the European Insurance companies began to demand that the car companies install better theft prevention systems in their vehicles. you might want to see if you have any sort of transponder key with this vehicle. The theft prevention system might involve several electronic modules within the vehicle which need to talk to each other as well as a ring antenna associated with the ignition lock.

In the world of BMW(I used to teach for them) just the simple act of trying to start the car with one of the involved modules powered down might require a trip to the dealer on a flatbed in order the realign the rolling codes in the modules.

I would call a dealer parts department and ask if you ordered a new key would need to bring in the car in order to have it programmed to the vehicle?

Also take a hard look at the room around the power brake booster. On our cars it is pretty far forward and might pose a problem. I have seen several poorly done engine swaps that ended up with no power brakes because of this.

With alot of work and a little ingenuity anything is possible(the photo at the bottom of the page tells the story):

http://www.ritzsite.net/280SL63/05_SL63.htm
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 17:08:54 by Shvegel »

al_lieffring

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 17:37:47 »
Getting all the electonics sorted out are issues that could all be solved. One problem could be the 4.08 or 3.92 rear axle, I'd bet the E320 would have a ratio around 3.08.

The M127 engine is one of the elements of my car that I enjoy. I have always loved the style of these cars, but they also have a feel that I havn't experienced any where else.

When the V8 107's came out I thought they drove more like a Ford Mustang than a Mercedes.

When people change the drive line in a car it is usually because the power plant they are switching to is from cars they are more used to working on.

Sometimes the adaptation is a realy slick instalation that fits in like it was made that way at the factory, and sometimes it is just a bunch of cobbled together pieces. Worst case, it doesn't even run as well as the worn out motor that was taken out.

I am biased, this IS the motor that I am the most familiar working on, and the 113 styling is top notch too.

If I were to make a mutant car, I would most likely put a small block Chevy/350turbo trans in a 67 Mustang fastback.
I like the Ford style, and the Chevy drive line.

Al Lieffring
66 230Sl
a-cheesin with a new 85 l. tank

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 22:22:56 »
Why are we entertaining this kind of thinking anyway? If you don't like your car and what it can do for you, buy something else or something newer. I for one, feel no guilt about spewing out nasty exhaust fumes from my old car - it's what it is and I like it that way.

I thought this club was about the restoration, preservation and conservation of 113 autos in their original form. It worries me to see ever increasing posts and topics about changing engines and other modifications to original cars when I believe, frankly, they don't belong here at all. And I don't mean simple stuff like electronic ignition....

Either the membership of this site ( club ) is serious about maintaining their cars as historic vehicles, or they aren't. Either we do things right around here or we slowly turn our cars into typical '57 Chevy's - cars that are rarely seen in original form any more. In fact, you have to go to a pretty high end car show these days to even see original examples.

As I said before, it's your car and you can do what you want with it. However, I find it difficult not to say something when I believe it needs to be said. And while I have no control over how things are done around here, I do have the option of not going along with it.
 Once someone figures out a way to effectively ( read cheaply ) street rod a 113, then it really will be a sad day....

1) because we let it happen
2) no one said anything about it
3) because I'll probably decide to leave  

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
  1 877 661 6061
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

RBYCC

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 06:39:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by Benz Dr.

Why are we entertaining this kind of thinking anyway? If you don't like your car and what it can do for you, buy something else or something newer. I for one, feel no guilt about spewing out nasty exhaust fumes from my old car - it's what it is and I like it that way.

I thought this club was about the restoration, preservation and conservation of 113 autos in their original form. It worries me to see ever increasing posts and topics about changing engines and other modifications to original cars when I believe, frankly, they don't belong here at all. And I don't mean simple stuff like electronic ignition....

Either the membership of this site ( club ) is serious about maintaining their cars as historic vehicles, or they aren't. Either we do things right around here or we slowly turn our cars into typical '57 Chevy's - cars that are rarely seen in original form any more. In fact, you have to go to a pretty high end car show these days to even see original examples.

As I said before, it's your car and you can do what you want with it. However, I find it difficult not to say something when I believe it needs to be said. And while I have no control over how things are done around here, I do have the option of not going along with it.
 Once someone figures out a way to effectively ( read cheaply ) street rod a 113, then it really will be a sad day....

1) because we let it happen
2) no one said anything about it
3) because I'll probably decide to leave  

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
  1 877 661 6061

I tend to agree.

I would consider bastardizing if all I had was a W113 rolling chassis and didn't want to expend time, energy and dollars to locate the proper parts.

Very new owner of a 1971 280SL, but I find the performance of the M130 is not too bad considering the era it was produced.

I have a 1988 300CE which I bought new in May of 1988.
From the factory it was rated 177HP/188LBFT torque.
Compare with the numbers of the 280SL and not much difference.

I did however recently install a period twin turbo kit on the M103-12V that was regularly supplied pre delivery on new W124's in the early nineties by a UK Merc dealer, Hughes of Beaconsfield.
In my case I now have AMG V8 power but with provenance of a period install.

I would think it would be as cost effective to rebuild the stock Pagoda engine compared to attempting an install of a newer engine and transmission.

Up to the owner and what he's looking for... !!!

ED A.
1971 280SL
1988 300CE TWIN TURBO
1990 C43 AMG
2003 G55 AMG

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 13:47:38 »
This is the kind of issue that generates strong opinions on both sides of the fence.  The one side believes that we should maintain the true integrity of the original car and the other side wants to improve with more modern technology.  What first attracted me to the car was the look.  Hands down it was the look of the car.  It was not the way it handled, the engine, brakes or anything else.  Just the way it looked.  (Thankfully I have not seen examples of spoilers, hood scoops, radically flared fenders.  I would draw the line there.)

I feel fortunate that we have such a diverse membership and can rely on one another to help with questions and problems rather than just taking our cars to a shop. And I know several of you operate these shops and are still willing to share your expert knowledge.  But I am also grateful that there are those members that are willing to push the envelope and explore new possibilities and share their experiences with the rest of us.  I do not have to agree with everything they may do, or in this case consider doing.  But asking the question is a good start to any dialog.  Since we all no more than we did 40 years ago (Of course guys like Joe A have probably forgotten more than I will ever know about these cars) I see nothing wrong with exploring the possibiiities of what "could be."  "Bigger" and "better" may not be always "better".  But how do we know unless we can satisfy that curiousity?  Our cars are as unique as this membership is in its devotion to them.  But lets not forget that each of us has their own reason behind what the Pagoda does for them.

Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Light Ivory
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

upside2k

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 15:20:53 »
I, for one, would love to hear more about this project if you proceed.

I have checked on the conversion to electronic injection and find it quite feasable, but my injection pump seems to be holding, so I'm going to wait until it fails. This project solves that problem and adds the other technical benefits of the later transmission.

About preserving the original car:

I, like many of you, have driven and/or owned some of the finest cars ever built. And yet, everyone of them has left me wanting in some way after driving it for a short time. Every racecar is modified to fit the requirements of each driver, and every car contains some sort of compromise. The W113, while an exceptional car, has its foibles that are not insignificant. While going to a 6.3 or 6.9 engine is not for me, changing to a later motor of the same marque makes eminent sense to me. Each to his own.

Sometimes after reading comments in forums, I think an ejection seat for the drivers is in order.

jeffc280sl

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 15:35:43 »
Nicely put.  We are all individuals and I see nothing seditious about those interested having a discussion about this or that aspect of their fascination for these cars.  Read what you want, after all it is a free country, mine anyway.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 16:56:18 »
( sigh )
In typical fashion some don't get it but that's OK. I'm not talking about freedom of speach or the pursuit of happiness I'm taking about the general direction this club is going. If we open the door to all kinds of ideas about modifiying 113's then our original purpose is lost and we might as well all go home.

Everyone is indeed welcome here, but I always thought our mission was to preserve orignial cars and not about creating street rods. If you don't like your car and all the problems it has either fix it or sell it.

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
  1 877 661 6061
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Douglas

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 19:22:18 »
If the M130 is such a great motor, how come nobody is talking about stuffing one into his 1995 E320?

Just kidding. In reality, I have some kind of "originality disorder," so I'm the last person here who can participate in this thread. :-)

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 20:21:56 »
Well, seeing as how I cringe when somebody changes from points to Pertronix, you know how I lean on this one. I am all for people doing whatever they want to their cars -- but at what point do these various modifications make the car something other than a Pagoda? Its not just the "look" that makes it special to me. It is the whole package, even with its numerous "idiosynchracies" (remember that thread?)...

Of course, there will always be the "tinker" types that love a challenge and a chance to "improve things." I say go for it. Me, on the other hand, I am happy just owning one of these little cars and doing whatever I can to keep driving it.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

seattle_Jerry

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 22:19:20 »
The 57 chevy hot rodders didn't ruin their cars, they saved them.

If they hadn't hot rodded them, those cars would have went to the scrapyard along with all the other 57's that were no longer wanted.

There wasn't a great horde of people lining up to pay the price for maintaining them as daily drivers (except Cubans).

However, the cars that were hot rodded are still around and could easily be changed back if someone were a stickler for originality.

Swapping engines isn't ruining the car, it is keeping the original engine from needing cylinder sleeves afer too many rebuilds. As long as you keep the parts and don't modify anything that can't be replaced, you are just making a more reliable daily driver.

By having the car out on the road more often it will remind people of the model and inspire more people to buy and fix up an SL.

Me personally, engine swaps are too much of a hassle. Getting everything to work right is a pain.

Incidently, there is lots of talk about rear end swaps, its no different swapping an engine than a rear end, both alter the feel of the car as originally intended.

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2007, 06:13:11 »
I rebuilt the engine in my 280.  First engine I had been inside of in 25 years.  I couldn't have done it without the help of this forum and Dan and Joe in particular.  It's great to have those who know originality and preservation and we should, and do, hail their talents and labors.

However, don't I recall that "The Red Rocket" has a modified distributor and some other "improvements".  Were those done because original performance was completely satisfactory?

There are thousands of our cars out there.  Some are perfect museum pieces and rarely see the light of day or the open road.  To me, that's sad.  Perfect originality is perfect sameness.  As examples diverge, the originals become more valuable in their class.  It's perfectly allright for the "Originals" camp to tut tut the tinkerers.  But,to withold their knowledge from other preservationists would be sad indeed.  

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2007, 12:24:42 »
Hear, Hear: Benz Dr. (Dan Caron) Really liked this one at the time!

Originally posted by theengineer in June 2005

Yesterday I went to a car & hot rod show. There was a 190SL with a Lexus 400LS engine. The engine is all aluminum, has dual overhead cams and produces over 300 HP with the modifications. The gearbox is a Datsun 5 speed manual, the rear axle a 3.69 positraction from a 280 sedan. The fuel tank was pushed in locally to make a room for the bigger axle. The car weighs now 2700 lbs, which is 100 lbs more than before. The front springs were not changed because the engine does not weigh more. Because of the 3 fold increase in engine power, the rear wheels can be made to spin in first, second and third, depending on the pavement. The car took Best in Class, even though I had my very original  280SL entered in the same class (Foreign cars). Attached is a picture of the engine installation.

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2007, 12:25:31 »
Well then I have a solution.

I sugest we open a new forum called resarch and development so '' tinkerers '' can go there and post to their heart's content and leave the general forum to general things as it was intended. This should satisy everyone and bother no one at the same time.

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
  1 877 661 6061
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

seattle_Jerry

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2007, 16:58:01 »
Doesn't one way or another to me. I just like playing the devil's advocate. I'm not planning on changing anything on mine.

Actually someday I plan on buying one of those 300SL kits so I can build a tube chassis and have a ridiculous engine, guilt free fast car with low emissions that still has the classic look I prefer.

I just wish I knew how to use an English wheel then I would build an all aluminum car body from scratch...old school.