Author Topic: Fuel Tank  (Read 4085 times)

dwilli3038

Fuel Tank
« on: September 23, 2003, 19:57:50 »
Hello All,

Now that the broken leg has healed I am back to working on the car. Today I removed the gas tank since it is filled with rust. In general the exterior of the tank looks good, however there was one thing that has me concerned.

The lower part of the gas tank (where the fuel line picks up the gas) apears to be soldered on, and it looks a little crude. There were some places where it apears the solder filled in a gaps between the main tank and the lower section that was nearly 1/16 inch. It did not leak before I took it off the car. I did run water into pick up tube and as far as I can see the water went into the lower compartment and then through the small slit as it is supposed to.

My question to the group is: should I be concerned about this lower section being soldered on? If not I will get the kit and coat the tank.

Daryl
'64 230 SL
Serial # 508

n/a

Re: Fuel Tank
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 20:31:56 »
IMHO, if it is a good (functionally rather than aethetically) solder job, it will be fine... functionally and durability wise.

I've had several solders fittings away from high heat/high pressure that have "never" failed to perform as an airtight and lasting attachment.

Anyone else?

Nervious Newbie `68 280sl

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 03:13:35 »
Daryl,
My 230 tank has delivery and return pipes soldered at where they enter the tank.
To clean out the rust from the tank, I had a hole cut on one side to give access for manual cleaning, then resoldered. This was done by a radiator shop. A thorough cleanout before coating appeals to me.
naj

'Kloines Scheisserle'
65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 19:36:37 »
Hello Daryl,
Someone mentioned that they dropped a short piece of heavy chain in the tank and sloshed it around to knock loose the corrosion and dirt in the tank. I used to use gravel, but the chain idea sounds better! Afterwards flush with plenty of water. I use an open air line in the fuel sender hole to dry the inside of the tank quickly. Do the sealing procedure as soon as possible afterwards.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

n/a

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 08:18:24 »
I used the chain method and compressed air to blow out the rust. Works well, but watch through the sender hole to make sure you don't wipe out the small hoses in the bottom of the tank. I also spent a long time with a dental pick cleaning out the fuel pick-up area exposed when you remove the plug/filter.

Shawn Rock
Philly, PA USA
1968 280 SL 4 speed