Author Topic: Pagoda Love: Our Own Coffee Table Book  (Read 28067 times)

Eryck

Re: Pagoda Love: Our Own Coffee Table Book
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 01:15:22 »
I'm in.  Thanks.

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

rob walker

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 02:12:18 »
Michael, what a great initiative, count me in.

Rob Walker
1968 280SL papyrus white/green leather
Spain and Turkey

bsimaz

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2008, 13:45:58 »
I'm in.   I would love to see my car as well as others at their best.

Bill Simaz
'66 230sl
Back on the Road

bpossel

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2008, 16:31:58 »
WOW!  At this rate, we'll be at good per unit cost!
Mike, this is really a wonderful idea!
Hopefully we can drag our feet a bit until I get my car
back together again.  Otherwise my pictures will only pictures of
baggies and bins of parts...
Thanks again for doing this!
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

Mike

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2008, 16:58:11 »
This is a great idea.  I'd like to participate.

Mike

jaxxonia

• Regular
  • USA, CA, Woodland Hills
  • pagodaride@gmail.com
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2008, 23:28:15 »
I have been away for a bit and hope I am not too late to the party!
A great idea.  And about time. Count me in.

Jackson Schwartz

DavidBrough

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2008, 05:43:08 »
I can’t miss out on something like this, please count me in.

Michael, whilst I don’t have any issue with the cost, it is what it is, I do remain confused with the price difference as three smaller volumes would accommodate 57 people at $90 each whereas one larger book only covers 49 at $190. Am I missing something?

David Brough
1969 280SL Auto with A/C
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 05:53:18 by DavidBrough »

bsimaz

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2008, 07:45:03 »
Is it possible for the book to have small legs that unfold to make it into a miniature coffe table?

:D

Bill Simaz
'66 230sl
Back on the Road

ghenne

• Senior
  • Canada, ON, Toronto
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2008, 11:56:16 »
I'm in.

George Henne
1965 230SL green

paulr

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2008, 14:53:54 »
me too. What about the mercedes star as the cover.

paulr
1970 280 SL

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2008, 17:38:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by paulr

me too. What about the mercedes star as the cover.

paulr
1970 280 SL

How about an image of a Pagoda Grille Star for the front cover and an image of a Pagoda Trunk Star for the rear cover?  

Start a "Grille Star Photo Contest" and a "Trunk Star Photo Contest" topic for photo submissions only.  Some darned good shots have been posted in various forums and could be included as well.

Then print them out and let attendees at at least three Pagoda events in different parts of the world vote on their favorites.  As editor of the project, Michael gets to choose from the finalists.

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 17:49:38 by Mike Hughes »
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Longtooth

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2008, 21:59:30 »
Michael,
Seeing as how this is a W113 Coffee-Table Picture book, wouldn't it be most appropriate if the front cover (if there's a cover) were to have a dominant and obvious pagada roof perspective... the concave feature being the "pagoda" roof style?  After-all, this was the dominant moniker of the W113 at the time... almost an heretical design as viewed at the time in that regard.

Or, something like a rendition... in a semi-abstractform... as in the following example --- for the idea, not the artwork.

Longtooth
67 250SL US #113-043-10-002163
The 6% Club - Best of the Best
'02 SL500 Sport

goodbetterbob

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2008, 23:00:36 »

Michael

I have just registered.  What a great forum!  It was suggested that I might enter a car in your Coffee Table Book by Craig DeVine.

I would love to do so if there is still room and if newbees qualify.

I will be watching for more information in the future.

Many thanks

Bob Goodman

'70 280SL w/kinder seat

paulr

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2008, 01:28:02 »
I am certainly no designer but may I suggest ( with respect ) that we resist the temptation to use this as an opportunity to show our prowess on photoshop. few things will date this book quicker than "art".

paulr
1970 280 SL
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 02:20:41 by paulr »

pagoden

• Senior
  • USA, MD, Silver Spring
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2008, 01:42:48 »
Yep, I can't resist; I'd like to participate, too.  (I wonder, though, if I'll have anything 'worthy' to show by deadline.)  But what a very very good idea; musn't pass this up. I worry too, that the roster must be about filled up; am I too late?  Is it all filled up?  Are we almost there yet?  ;~)

Thanks are due already, Michael; add mine.

Denny
280sl 4 spd. 670/904 [Aug.68 build date, Euro Delivery, US specs (mostly), titled as a 1969]
1968/69 280SL, just+100k mi, manual 4, 3.46, both tops, 717/904

Mark in KS

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2008, 16:14:29 »
You're going to need one from the heartland, too!  Add me to the list if there's still room....

Mark in KS
67 230SL

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2008, 19:56:29 »
I say save the money for the technical book we so badly need and have be pooring our time and  effords into. coffee table books are like decorative items that very few  would consider usefull. I would gladly  contribute to the Technical manual and then after words a coffee rendention of pictures of members cars. The Technical manual should be our first priority.
Bob Geco
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 19:59:17 by Bob G »

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2008, 08:57:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by Bob G

I say save the money for the technical book we so badly need and have be pooring our time and  effords into. coffee table books are like decorative items that very few  would consider usefull. I would gladly  contribute to the Technical manual and then after words a coffee rendention of pictures of members cars. The Technical manual should be our first priority.
Bob Geco

Bob, whilst I appreciate your sentiments re the Technical Manual, the reality of the situation is that not enough people are contributing as yet to ensure that we are making enough progress. I don't think we're anywhere near publishing yet. That will take at least another year. But... if more people help out, it might go more quickly.

So I really applaud Michael's effort, and hope that it will encourage people to not just submit photographs, but also add to the Technical Manual.

Over the last couple of months Naj and I have been the major contributors to the Technical Manual, but currently my efforts are directed elsewhere. As some of you may have noticed, we're running into web problems again and I'm currently spending a LOT of time (and I mean a LOT) trying to prepare us to convert to a more modern software platform with a different hosting provider without losing any data from this forum. So I will not be contibuting greatly to the Technical Manual either...

Peter

1970 280SL. Also known as 'admin@sl113.org' and organiser of the Technical Manual.
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Longtooth

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2008, 01:54:23 »
Michael,
It occurs to me that the possibility may come to pass that this book will be a very rare example of a book with a variety of W113's in a variety of locations, states of repair & refinement, etc.... decidedly not a book of pure conours edition or famous W113's, which is generally the typical coffee-table book on a given set of classics of some variety or another.

Is it possible, therefore that I can participate, then order (and pay for) 2 copies of it?  If I can't order and pay for 2 copies, what happens to the plates (or reproduction proofs) used to print the book after it's printed? Also, is there a copyright for the book and if so, who owns the copyright?  The publisher? You? I only ask because it's a relevant question.

If somebody were to want to reproduce the book and sell it, or extracts of photos from it, what would prevent them from doing so if there's no copyright?  What prevents the publisher from making additional copies for other than the intended participants if he so decided? If there's a copyright, then who owns the copyright?    

Oh, btw, though my wife will kill me every time she see's the book, count me in anyway... you only live once.

Longtooth
'02 SL500 Sport
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 02:00:43 by Longtooth »

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2008, 02:07:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by Longtooth

Michael,

Oh, btw, though my wife will kill me every time she see's the book, count me in anyway... you only live once.

Longtooth

when she does bring your life to an unnatural, and early end, can I have your car? :D

James Lester
RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2008, 06:06:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by Longtooth

Michael,
It occurs to me that the possibility may come to pass that this book will be a very rare example of a book with a variety of W113's in a variety of locations, states of repair & refinement, etc.... decidedly not a book of pure conours edition or famous W113's, which is generally the typical coffee-table book on a given set of classics of some variety or another.

Is it possible, therefore that I can participate, then order (and pay for) 2 copies of it?  If I can't order and pay for 2 copies, what happens to the plates (or reproduction proofs) used to print the book after it's printed? Also, is there a copyright for the book and if so, who owns the copyright?  The publisher? You? I only ask because it's a relevant question.

If somebody were to want to reproduce the book and sell it, or extracts of photos from it, what would prevent them from doing so if there's no copyright?  What prevents the publisher from making additional copies for other than the intended participants if he so decided? If there's a copyright, then who owns the copyright?    

Longtooth
'02 SL500 Sport

It is/was at first, totally misinterpreted by some who didn't read my entire post that this was to be some exclusive book of perfect Pagodas--trailer queeens.  COMPLETELY WRONG, and I'm glad Longtooth, that you have gotten it right.  All cars, all conditions, all locations.

You can order as many books as you want.  Remember there is no quantity discount--not my rules, the rules of the publisher.  Your participation is welcome.

Copyrights of each photo remain with the photographers and will be noted as such.  There are no "plates".  It's a photobook and if you need a deeper explanation, please contact me offline.  The design of the book, for what it may be worth, and things I create, will be my copyright.  The publishers are photobook publishers and are not interested in printing books and selling them like a traditional publishing house; theft of the entire book in digital form by the photobook publisher would be an extremely remote idea; they all have standards, you know.  You have to have an understanding of the photobook process to completely understand.  It isn't traditional publishing.

Do it for you, not your wife.  Maybe she'll learn to see the beauty in these cars when she sees all of them together.  Include her in a photo maybe she'll feel special!

You will need to update your profile or at least contact me offline with your email address as once we get underway communication will be directly by email blasts offline.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 08:32:39 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid
2024 Ford Mustang Mach Ex PEV

raybragg@roadrunner.com

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Upland
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2008, 22:07:38 »
Please add me to your list of participants.  I have a 1971 280SL, Tobacco Brown.
Ray

GTMSJ

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2008, 13:42:59 »
I would love the opportunity to participate; count me in!

Gary

1970 280sl silver/red

1970 280 sl silver/red
1992 NSX
1998 GS400

Martijn

• Regular
  • Netherlands, Utrecht, Mijdrecht
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2008, 16:06:44 »
Hello Michael,

What a great initiative! I like photography very much and especially if the subject is the beautiful Pagoda.

I am very new to this group, but I would like to participate. Please add me to the list.

Martijn Sjerps

1967 250 SL - manual - dark blue 332
Martijn

1967 250 SL - 4-speed manual - dark blue 332

wmoore

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2008, 15:22:52 »
I am a new owner, and new reader.   Count me in.

Orient Red September 67 250 SL

My only stipulation... Way off in the blurry background I will have to sneak in the image of my 74 240D.  I do love that car, but I fear that nobody will ever offer to do a coffee table book on the 115's

William Moore

-WAM
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 11:24:27 by wmoore »