Author Topic: The Pagoda in the barn  (Read 80763 times)

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: The Pagoda in the barn
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 10:19:52 »
A very good day, indeed!  ;^)
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 10:38:17 »
Bob,

Can we expect a full album of detailed pictures (in your usual excellent fashion) in the near future??? :oops:

naj
68 280SL

glennard

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 11:29:25 »
Gotta love the 'Test Stand'!!!---

cascadia

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, OR, Portland
    • http://www.cascadiaclassic.com
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 17:45:57 »
I haven't taken a whole lot of photos along the way, most times I'm just trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing and only afterwards realize I should have taken a picture!

I did figure out the stalling-out problem after the car hits high rpms and I have bjudd to thank for that.  His post "8 drops of magic" reminded me to oil the distributor and sure enough, the problem was that the advance wasn't coming back to normal soon enough.  The car is now actually running very well!

Took the car for a little spin, 100 feet down the street and back, the car does shift and brake,  I took a razor blade and cleared a spot on the windshield to see out of, my neighbors got a laugh out of that....[:p]
Bob in Portland, Oregon.

cascadia

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, OR, Portland
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 21:48:37 »
The weather was so nice today that I got a little bold and decided to drive the car back home from my shop.  It's only 11 blocks but I haven't gone through the braking system yet so it was something of a risk.  Somehow I felt like the car would be ok and sure enough, it did great.  Took it back to the shop after dinner and this thing really seems to be running well.  Going to get those brakes gone through and take it for a longer drive.  Here's a fun picture of it on its first trip out as a running driving car.  Methinks the Gods are smiling on it.

Bob in Portland, Oregon.

Sigman

• Regular
  • USA, CA, Alameda
    • http://www.bluecapgarage.com
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2008, 21:22:13 »
That green "patina" does look cool.

Cheers,
Michael
Michael Lara
www.bluecapgarage.com
1969 280SL 4-spd - 717 Papyrus White w/ Blue MB-Tex (unrestored)
1986 560SL
1989 Toyota Landcruiser FJ62
2015 Tesla Model S 90D
2007 BMW F 650 GS

cascadia

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, OR, Portland
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2008, 23:24:13 »
Well I guess I jinxed myself with that comment about the smiling Gods. :evil:
Took the car for another quick shakedown drive today, I wanted to get it up to speed and into 4th gear.  I'm in 4th for about 10 seconds when it gently, almost imperceptibly, slips out and then I don't have any gears at all.  Coasted to a stop and got a tow from AAA.  The pedal seems fine, reservoir has fluid, slave cylinder is moving with the pedal.  I can hear/feel the linkage moving the gears.  I'll check tomorrow to see if the driveshaft is actually turning or not, could be drive-line related I suppose.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 00:20:58 by cascadia »
Bob in Portland, Oregon.

dtuttle123

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2008, 04:50:03 »
Great photo that you posted on June 12th!!  I did have to laugh about you scraping a spot on the windshield to see - like some of drivers in New England after a snow storm where they scrape 12 square inches of snow and ice so that they can drive down the highway.

Remember, the God's may not be smiling today....but you are doing "God's Work" in bringing her back to life!  We are ultimately all 'stewards of the Pagodas".

Doug
1967 250SL (early)
4-Speed, Orient Red, Leather

cascadia

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, OR, Portland
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2008, 10:56:10 »
Looks like the problem is in the differential, the prop shaft is turning freely while in gear.  I'm going to start a topic  in the drivetrain forum to figure out the best approach to the problem.
Bob in Portland, Oregon.

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 12:45:34 »
quote:
I took a razor blade and cleared a spot on the windshield to see out, my neighbors got a laugh out of that...

The neighbors may be laughing today but they won't be laughing when your're finished sprucing up the car...they'll be shedding tears of jealousy.

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 16:55:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by Sigman

That green "patina" does look cool.

Cheers,
Michael

Is that the famous "Moss Green?"
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Amanda

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2008, 12:49:29 »
Thanks for sharing.  Great pictures and story - keep up the updates.  I second that you're doing "god's work" bringing this car back.  It makes me so sad when I see a classic that's been neglected.

cascadia

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, OR, Portland
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2008, 21:58:36 »
Back on the road! ...even if I still haven't washed the car...

I ended up finding a donor axle assembly from a 65 sedan and swapped it out with the information I've found on this forum.  Drove about 20 miles with the new setup today and everything seems to be fine.  I figure I missed about 2 months of Summer but it's better late than never.   Life is good!  :)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 23:50:08 by cascadia »
Bob in Portland, Oregon.

cascadia

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, OR, Portland
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2008, 21:40:45 »
First trip downtown today in the car, it's really running great.  I've logged about 70 miles since the rear axle swap, each mile increases my confidence in the car.

Bob in Portland, Oregon.

dtuttle123

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2008, 17:35:05 »
OK Bob - no more trips around town until you take a razor blade and clear off the rest of that windshield!! Keep us updated on your progress.

Doug
1967 250SL (Early)

Mark280SL

• Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2008, 20:37:48 »
I really like what you're doing, love the photos and I'm kind of fond of the green...

Not to be a stick in the mud but you may really want to consider that if it has that green on the outside it could very likely have mold spores, bacteria, fungus or who knows what on the interior surfaces and vents from sitting where it was for so long... the health implications from inhaling some of that stuff can be quite destructive so you may want to think about what you're coming into contact with and do a scrub down.

That aside great work!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 23:21:22 by vanesp »
Mark

cascadia

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, OR, Portland
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2008, 19:59:52 »
Thanks for your concern.  Yes, my first priority with this car was gutting the interior to eliminate all traces of it's former whiskered occupants.  Those little mice can get into some tiny places, so I put on my gloves and N95 mask, took everything out, vacuumed, sprayed some germ killing stuff and then just bolted the seats and seatbelts back in.  All that's left to do are the gauges and the vents, although I've peered down those vents with a flashlight and they look empty.  

At any rate, I think I was so anxious to sort the car out mechanically that once it was I hit the road immediately!  I found that the car actually attracts quite a number of people pulling out their cell phone cameras wherever it's parked.  I think that the car looks like such a heap that folks must wonder how the thing is roadworthy at all!   I have to admit that it's become a huge source of amusement for me.  I love the idea of a car that looks so bad cosmetically but is totally dialed in mechanically, it's just funny.

I think it will get a complete wash before Fall, but I will probably start prepping it for paint shortly after.  The car was originally Papyrus White but it had been painted "appliance white" at some point and I'm not crazy about that.  I'd almost rather keep its barn find appearance intact rather than having the "bad paint job" look.
Bob in Portland, Oregon.

paulr

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2008, 23:43:07 »
he wont be going anywhere unless he changes gear and puts in some gas.
quote:
Originally posted by dtuttle123

OK Bob - no more trips around town until you take a razor blade and clear off the rest of that windshield!! Keep us updated on your progress.

Doug
1967 250SL (Early)

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 23:45:20 by paulr »

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2008, 08:28:39 »
I love that you haven't washed it yet.  Great story and I love the picture from the driver's perspective peering through the clean spot.  Good stuff.

Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

dtuttle123

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2009, 21:42:29 »
Bob in Portland -

We want to see more pictures and your progress on the barn find and 'mossy green' Pagoda!! 8)

Allen

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2009, 21:43:46 »
Bob,
You are welcome to bring your SL to the Forest Grove Concours in the MBCA display class.  We will have a few 'driver' Pagodas there.

Cheers,
Allen

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2009, 02:37:38 »
It looks like it just completed a 40 year long Rally.
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

Allenh

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2009, 13:30:05 »
Nice find!  Is that the original color- Moss Green Metallic?
Allen

cascadia

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, OR, Portland
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2009, 17:57:34 »
Here's an update.  After nearly a year and about 500 miles on the car I decided it's time to paint it and get it looking good.  I've been back and forth with color choices, from DB190 Graphite Gray, to DB226 Moss Green, and now......462 Tunis Beige, I think that's the direction I'm going to go.  The interior is black, and I think with Tunis Beige I may have the hardtop painted black.   Anyway, here's the pics, as you can see the car's pretty much stripped down.
Bob in Portland, Oregon.

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2009, 18:47:08 »
Bob,

This time I do have a good picture  ;)

naj
68 280SL