Author Topic: What is this part? Mystery part....  (Read 5732 times)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
What is this part? Mystery part....
« on: August 03, 2008, 19:23:57 »
Hello -
I took out the air filter canister because it was rattling and I was trying to figure out if there was a rubber bumper underneith (there was).  While cleaning under the canister I found this _mystery part_.  It's a metric-threaded thing with a rubber hex-head.  I have no idea what it is.   Does anyone have any idea?  See attached photos.
Thanks,  Scott

« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 19:33:42 by scoot »
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Mark280SL

• Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
Re: What is this part? Mystery part....
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 20:02:36 »
they look like the rubber buffers that (should) bolt to the side if the canister.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 20:04:50 by Mark280SL »
Mark

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 20:14:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mark280SL

they look like the rubber buffers that (should) bolt to the side if the canister.

I don't think that's what they are.  On my car there are three rubber buffers -- #1 is on the side facing the fan and has threaded shafts on both ends (and is cylindrical), #2 is the same as #1 but connects to the wheel well and then to a bracket that lets you adjust the canister, and #3 is different -- it is underneither and seemingly held in by friction and the can rests on top of it.   I think it's something else.  I haven't been able to find anything like it when I look at EPCnet for the air cleaner setup.  (On a related EPCnet note, EPC indicates that my car should have an air cleaner that is totally different from what I have.  If I look at the parts for what I have, EPC says they are for a 114 car.  MB Classic Center also sent me parts that have numbers that correspond to a 114 car so I suspect that EPCnet is just plain wrong about air cleaners for my car...)     Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Rolf

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 05:23:44 »
I had the same item lying underneath my air cleaner canister. It had a threaded stud on one end. The other end was straight like in the picture. It looked like something was sheared off. It was to hold the canister to the car. I bought new ones which are different in design with threaded studs at both ends. One bolts from the canister to the wheel well, another from the canister to a bracket, the third bolts underneath the canister to the car. All three studs have rubber which absorb any vibrations. The three all all the same

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 07:30:38 »
My 66 has one on the base of the air filter canister as well as the sides.
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 10:17:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by Rolf

I had the same item lying underneath my air cleaner canister. It had a threaded stud on one end. The other end was straight like in the picture. It looked like something was sheared off. It was to hold the canister to the car. I bought new ones which are different in design with threaded studs at both ends. One bolts from the canister to the wheel well, another from the canister to a bracket, the third bolts underneath the canister to the car. All three studs have rubber which absorb any vibrations. The three all all the same

Interesting.  In addition to those three, did you also have a 4th rubber thing under the canister towards the front?  A larger piece that doesn't bolt in?   I suppose it is possible that this piece was somehow to attach to the bottom of the can but it doesn't look at all like there was ever a place underneith for it to attach.  Nor does it look like something threaded was sheered off the other end of the piece I have....     The rubber buffers that I have (2) that have threaded shafts on both sides are cylindrical.  This one is hex.   I'll look again but I'm sure I looked under the canister and searched for a place where a threaded shaft could go.  Is it possible that it only connects to the canister and just "rests" on the surface beneith?   thanks   Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

glennard

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 11:07:13 »
It's the infamous 'twist off' bumper.  Gotta put pliers on the metal washer, otherwise the washer separates from the rubber.  BMW's have em too.