Author Topic: Engine Alternatives.....  (Read 6904 times)

Malc

Engine Alternatives.....
« on: November 05, 2003, 04:41:41 »
I saw the post about the 6.3 engine and just for a laugh, if the engine finally quit what else would go in....

Rover V8 EFI 4.9 Nice and light weighs less than an old MGB 4 pot

MB 190 6 cylinder the one with the Cosworth Cylinder head.

Dare I say.....

BMW 3 litre straight 6 24valve up to 300HP - make an interesting driving experience

On a more serious note on researching alternatives if the mechanical injection is so difficult to get parts for and or repair it would be possible to fit "modern" electronic injection (I have done this before on a TR6) although I am sure three Twin choke Webers or Delorotos would be more "emotional"

Malc
Scotland

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: Engine Alternatives.....
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 05:21:21 »
I had thought that a Bosch CIS injection from the late 70s would be a great substitute. I had thought about doing a turbo 113 and this would have been the way to go.

pierre

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 07:05:57 »
Hello!
I suppose you saw the information about the Pagoda 6.3 sold in Paris last february.
For those who don't know about the mechatronik company , see :
http://www.mechatronik-gmbh.de/eng/en_msl_eng.htm
here is even a Pagoda on video with a modern Mercedes engine which I find fascinating, but I understand if you think that Mechatronik is-with the MSL 320 - going perhaps too far away from a usual restauration work. The MSL is obviously easier to drive than the Pagoda 6.3... fascinating... and not for everybody's porte-monnaie!
Pierre
230 SL -64
Pierre

n/a

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 08:26:57 »
My father put a 351 V8 with a bigh Holly 4bl in a 1970 250C. Used the MB differential and mated the drive shaft stubs. So much torque he had to put big oversized tires on or it would spin the tires at every light.

He also put a Olds 455 in the back of a Corvair.

His final Frankenstien car was a MB 6.9 in a Fiero skinned to look like a pseudo-Ferarri. Twin turbos, ZF trany, all the goodies. Never finished this car. Bought a real Ferarri instead. Guess it was easier.

Me, I'm trying to keep my little 2.8 happy ... but then again ... I read an article about someone who put a 928 engine in a VW Golf. He had to split the car down the middle to make it wider. I wonder if I could squeeze one of those in?

Shawn Rock
Philly, PA USA
1968 280 SL 4 speed

n/a

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 20:27:11 »
I asked a friend who is a MB service manager in our area about this...he said that the best engine to transplant into a 113 car would be a newer aluminum block V8, but that transmission size would be a problem. So, you would need to adapt the older transmission to the new engine, or rework the tunnel. (this is also the problem with putting the 6.3 engine into any car of that era other than a 6.3 or 600- see Karl Middlehauve's site, M100 Grand). The 3.5 engine would fit a lot better; how the weight compares I don't know but at least you would get to reuse your gearbox, etc. Plus 3.5 could be ordered in Europe with manual gearbox, so the bits do exist if you have a stickshift car.
  Personally I would be happy if my 113 just had a little more pep; I asked Gernold Nisius if the Euro cam and higher-compression pistons would make a difference, and he didn't think so. I am going to try a solid-state ignition and tuneup, we'll se if that helps.
  Also of interest on the M100 site- Karl retrofit a complete electronic closed-loop FI system with SS ignition and emgine management system to a 6.3 motor. The smoothness and power were amazing, according to a few folks I know who have seen the car. Also, the emissions went down, the fuel economy went up, etc. Mechanical FI was great for its time but clearly can't compete with a modern 'intelligent' system with multiple feedback elements. Of course, you do give up all that cad-plated tubing and arguably some of the most beautiful plumbing ever put on automobile engines, when you dispense with mechanical FI. The only thing prettier is that chorus of vertical Webers on a GT40 or Cobra engine...

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 22:23:40 »
Didn't I read somewhere on here about someone sticking a 230slk engine into a Pagoda?

Or did I imagine it?

After all, I have a 230slk..... :D It really is a sweet engine.
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Ben

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2003, 02:56:48 »
quote:
MB 190 6 cylinder the one with the Cosworth Cylinder head

The Cosworth 190 Merc is a 4 cylinder, either 2.3 or 2.5 litre. I think the Pagoda deserves a less highly strung 6 cylinder.

That Mechatronic conversion is apparantly totally reversible, but I have to say I love the hum of the mechanically injected straight six !

Was there ever high lift cams available ?

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor