Author Topic: New oil leak - injector pump cap (?)  (Read 4275 times)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
New oil leak - injector pump cap (?)
« on: September 14, 2008, 11:09:50 »
I should know the answer to this, but I don't.  My car has started leaking a nice big consistent puddle of oil so I looked to see where it was coming from.  It's coming from the "OEL" red fill cap on the injector pump.  To the best of my knowledge, the oil level was not high in here before and I haven't added or changed the oil in the pump.   I _have_ changed the oil in the rest of the car, but I thought that the injector pump was it's own separate oil system.   So why is it overflowing from that point now?  Should I be afraid?
thanks,  Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: New oil leak - injector pump cap (?)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 12:28:14 »
Could be a seal problem - although I hope it is something more trivial.
See:
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=4199
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=2972
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 16:51:37 by vanesp »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 16:02:28 »
You should be mildly concerned if not quite very afraid at this point.

I have had a similar problem (the second of Alfred's threads). My pump overflowed with oil and when I removed the cap I had a tidy puddle. Suggest you remove the existing oil (see threads), refill and monitor. Refill with about 200ml of light-ish engine oil.

If it takes on more oil (or petrol/gas smell) then you will have to remove the pump (boring) and send it away for checking/fixing/mod'ing (expensive). I had my pump modified (hole drilled to allow the levels to remain constant - don't really understand the process but it has worked superbly ever since), cost about 500 euros. If you do go down this root, remove your injectors and send those off at the same time for cleaning.

Let us know how you get on. Been there. Done that. Would have bought the t-short but didn't have any money left, etc.
JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 17:22:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by jameshoward

You should be mildly concerned if not quite very afraid at this point.

I'm concerned and afraid.  I've pumped out all of the oil three times now (at least it's clean now) and I'll refill and monitor it.   I assume from the postings and the two threads that replacing the seal that keeps gas out of the oil isn't a DIY job.  On a related note, the owners book makes reference to replacing the air filter near the back of the injector pump -- don't see how to remove it or what to replace it with.  Any comments?   Thanks, Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 20:01:09 »
Scott,
it takes a very narrow 19mm wrench (at least on my R11 IP) to unscrew the filter housing. Might need some soaking with PB-Blaster or similar to get it loose. Inside is a filter element that disintegrates over time. As far as I know you cannot replace just the element you need to replace the whole unit. It is still available from M-B.
However I would not worry about this now. If you have to send the pump for repair then Gus (or whomever you pick) can easily replace the filter if it is necessary.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 20:02:41 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)