Author Topic: Where is injection pump tour  (Read 6763 times)

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Where is injection pump tour
« on: November 11, 2008, 22:38:29 »
I have searched until I am blue in the face for the "injection pump tour" by JA17. I have found all of the other tours that I had bookmarked since the system has changed but can't find that one. Can someone please give me the link?

By the way, how many tours are there? I have found six including the IP tour. If there are more, please let me know as I find these invaluable.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
Re: Where is injection pump tour
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 22:58:52 »

By the way, how many tours are there? I have found six including the IP tour. If there are more, please let me know as I find these invaluable.

How about posting all the tour links in a post here.  Better yet, how about the mods make it a sticky.
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 23:13:49 »
I have searched until I am blue in the face for the "injection pump tour" by JA17. I have found all of the other tours that I had bookmarked since the system has changed but can't find that one. Can someone please give me the link?

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=790.0

Note: Joe has posted a lot of good stuff on injection pumps in multiple threads. Ideally, these should be collected together.
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 21:41:11 »
I think that is a great idea to organize all of the tours together. You could even offer the organzied version for full members only. The nice thing about the tours is that it gives you the opportunity to see what the component(s) look like before you take them apart. A lot of anxiety is avoided!

The best forums have more technical and less garbage.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 22:17:50 »
That's why we have the Technical Manual. Not everything is there yet, but some of Joe Alexander's excellent tours are paying member only... Push the tab above and have a look!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 12:56:43 »
Has the purpose/direction of this group changed?

I see in the charter
'The purpose of the Group shall be to increase knowledge and appreciation of Mercedes Benz SL automobiles, particularly the W113 chassis cars including the 230 SL, 250 SL, 280SL models produced from 1963 to 1971; to foster sharing information, facilitate meetings and other events among owners and admirers of these cars. The Group shall be not-for-profit but may engage in profit making activities when appropriate to achieve the above stated objectives'
unquote.

I thought this group was INCLUSIVE of everybody who has an interest in our beloved Pagodas and not EXCLUSIVE for the sake of making money or increasing paid membership.

Information given freely by members to all members should not be secreted away for exclusive use by paid members.

I am a paid member and I am a member of the original Yahoo 113 group.

Having read every post on both boards there was one statement often made "there are no questions about a Pagoda that should not be asked" because there is always an answer.

I learned from Joe and every contributing member of both forums the benefit of freely available information.
Joe guided me through tuning my 250SL before the Linkage Tour.

He probably wrote the TOURs to collate his knowledge in one place so that he won't have to keep retyping it for every new enquiry.

Why restrict VALUABLE information to paying members only?
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 14:25:46 »
Bob,

no, the purpose and direction has not changed. However, the hosting of this website costs real money. If we had no paying members, we would not exist. (Additionally, lots of volunteer effort is put in by many people too, without which we would not exist either).

We do believe that we should offer paying members something extra over and above non-paying members. After all, otherwise why would they pay?

Paying members get Pagoda World, Pagoda Notes, and access to a few restricted areas on the Technical Manual. The restricted areas contain the tours, written up in the format of the Technical Manual. Noise has been removed. Things clarified. But essentially all of the information in the Technical Manual is available on the forum also, and always will be.  It's just a little less structured, and less well organised. And you need to search for it. Luckily, with this new system, the search function is improved and does not crash out like the old system did. And indeed, no information is secret -- some of it is a little bit hard to find.

Actually, the example you quote (the Linkage Tour) is a bad example, as we're still waiting for high resolution pictures to be included in the manual and currently the Forum is the best place for it.

A better example are the coloured wiring diagrams. These were produced by a member and contributed to the group. They were mailed with an issue of Pagoda World... to paying members only. However, that was years ago. We decided to scan (with permission) and post the colour wiring diagrams in the Technical Manual -- but for paying members only. A black and white version however was made accessible to all. So actually, all the members benefit and have access, just the paying members a little more. But then again, they pay. And again, no information is withheld.

If you have suggestions on how we might make it interesting for people to pay us, yet share everything, I -- and I'm sure , the board -- are all ears. Why don't you run for a board position yourself ?

Peter
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 15:16:08 by vanesp »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!