Author Topic: Limited-slip rear end with disc brakes (from 111 - 280SE coupe) into a 230SL?  (Read 4272 times)

calrefugee

I have a rusted-out 280SE coupe from 1968 that I bought just for the rear end - it has a limited-slip differential...

Now I have bought a '67 230SL - 4-speed auto - with standard rear end and drum brakes - still on its way from California.

Considering putting the 111 rear end into the SL - to get both limited slip and disc brake benefits.

I haven't compared ratios yet - but expect them to be the same - probably 3.75:1.

AFAIK, not many 230SLs were ever built with LSD rears - correct?

Any thoughts on this conversion?  Has anyone done this?  Results/caveats?

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Hello,

It should be no problem.  The two are exactly the same size.  The brake issues will be a bit more work, but should be a nice upgrade.   Be sure to use the special lube to fill the diff. 
You may also get the advantage of a better rear gear ratio.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

calrefugee

Hello,

It should be no problem.  The two are exactly the same size.  The brake issues will be a bit more work, but should be a nice upgrade.   Be sure to use the special lube to fill the diff. 
You may also get the advantage of a better rear gear ratio.

When you say "better rear gear ratio" - is there a consensus around what is optimal for a 230 with a 4-speed auto?  I know many complain about high hwy RPMs - so, what is the "ideal" ratio? 3.69:1? Or even taller - i.e. 3.25:1?

Thanks!

graphic66

You will need a brake compensator to install in the rear brake lines if you have drum brakes originally. without it your rear brakes will outstop the front with 4 wheel disc. I love my 4:08 diff in my 230SL automatic. The sweet sound of that engine reving and the snappy feel off the line is great. These are heavy cars with not to much horsepower, they need low gearing to be "quick". This is how the car was designed.