Author Topic: Euro vs US Headlights  (Read 22321 times)

pauldridge

Euro vs US Headlights
« on: December 10, 2008, 03:49:45 »
wonder what the general consensus regarding appearance and value of cars with either Euro or US headlights installed?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 02:35:12 by pauldridge »

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Re: Euro vs US Headlights - Desirability?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 10:04:53 »
Euro and USA headlights have slightly different functions...take a look at the Headlight article in the Tech Manual for a description of various lights.

I have not found that having USA or Euro lights adds to the value of a specific car.

The Euro lights were created by the Mercedes style shop and were the lights originally intended for these cars. USA lights were born from US Federal safety regulations.

The price of a new or used Euro light can be quite a bit higher than the price of a USA light.

A number of USA owners have substituted Euro lights for the original USA lights.

I have owned cars with both USA and Euro lights. I prefer the uncluttered look of the Euro light.

Richard M, NYC

1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 13:43:48 »
There's a lot to consider here, most of it personal opinion and whether or not to keep things original.

If you have a US-spec car, with US sealed beam headlights, keep them.  If you like "the look" of euro lights, take a photo of them and make a poster for your office and you can look at them all the time. ;)  There's nothing more peculiar looking to purists, than Euro lights with US side markers or bumper overriders or other US-spec giveaways (or, vice-versa of course).  MB may have designed the Euro look but they also designed the sealed beam enclosure too.  It wasn't designed by the Feds; it was designed by the mfg to comply with sealed beam requirements existent for all manufacturers at the time.

Euro lights are ungodly expensive today.  Crack a US headlight sealed beam, and for $10 at any auto parts store you have a new one.  Crack a Euro lens, and go get a loan to replace it.  Oh, nobody is lending any money at the moment, so you might have to wait!  At today's prices you probably need a loan for any headlight door.  I think I paid about $600 each--that was back in 1999.  Mine were all cracked and broken.

If you have a Euro spec car, for goodness sake don't change to US.  Keep it as it was delivered!  If you import one, I don't believe you have to change it any longer as you might have some years ago.

If looks are secondary, and performance is first, I would offer that the US lights "pale" in comparison to the Euro.  However you can purchase any number of aftermarket kits to replace the 7" sealed beam with a halogen setup.  Cibie, Hella and others make these kits, I think they run around $100 and up.  They generally are a bit flatter than a sealed beam, presenting a somewhat different look; offer bulb replacement (H4??) and significantly brighter in operation than traditional sealed beams.  Lots of online retailers, and they even sell them at my local foreign auto parts store.

For a few $$ more than the $10 for a sealed beam, you can get what amounts to sealed H4 units.  I have these (Sylvania I think) on my car, but I don't really drive much at night.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 13:46:02 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 14:36:21 »

There's nothing more peculiar looking to purists, than Euro lights with US side markers or bumper overriders or other US-spec giveaways (or, vice-versa of course). 

However you can purchase any number of aftermarket kits to replace the 7" sealed beam with a halogen setup.  Cibie, Hella and others make these kits, I think they run around $100 and up.  They generally are a bit flatter than a sealed beam, presenting a somewhat different look; offer bulb replacement (H4??) and significantly brighter in operation than traditional sealed beams.  Lots of online retailers, and they even sell them at my local foreign auto parts store.

On your two points quoted above...

With an "early" car, 230 or 250, you could fudge the Euro look if desired.

My car has the Cibie conversion.  Very bright and functional.  I also have Bosch H4s on my 190 SL.  Again, very bright and functional.

Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 15:37:19 »
John,

Your right on the fudging--but it isn't limited to early cars (admittedly a bit easier though!).  Some have closed up and removed side marker and reflectors holes, removed over-riders and filled and replated bumpers, etc. even on newer cars to achieve the smooth Euro look.  All depends on the look you are trying to achieve, I suppose.  I actually added mine; the new headlight doors had the connection for markers, so I removed the reflectors and added the markers during the restoration.  You can't tell much of course unless it is night time, they present the same general look (the look frowned upon by Euro-purists) except one has a bulb in it!  To me they are all beautiful, US or Euro, early or late.

In the world of customizing, it is common to remove many external things.  I've seen 1957 Tbirds and others with the door handles removed (some kind of electric thing with a hidden switch added); dechroming is common on Detroit iron of the era, too.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 15:38:53 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

cpmayor

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 00:32:27 »
I vote for the Euro lights, even with the US side reflectors. I'm in the market for a pair...

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 01:15:11 »
I'm neutral regarding the headlights but have a big preference against the ugly side marker lights. 
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
Re: Euro vs US Headlights
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 23:19:21 »
I strongly prefer the Euro headlights on my American spec car and I believe the choice is a personal one. (I have been known to offend purists on more than one occassion.) Based upon Mike's comment, I checked the picture of my car in my office and it also has the Euro headlights.
Euro lights with halogen bulbs are much brighter than the standard US sealed beam headlights. The US sealed beam headlights are easily switched with the Euro headlights. There are no alterations required so you can change to the appropriate headlight when you sell your car in order to get top dollar.
Ted 1969 280SL  US spec car w/ Euro headlights

Douglas

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 01:11:46 »
It's a personal choice, but I'll say this—the thin plastic rim at the top of the US headlight surround is prone to break, so beware. The US-spec headlights are expensive & fragile whereas the Euro lights are just plain expensive.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 15:41:07 »
It's a personal choice, but I'll say this—the thin plastic rim at the top of the US headlight surround is prone to break, so beware. The US-spec headlights are expensive & fragile whereas the Euro lights are just plain expensive.

That plastic will crack just looking at it.  The Euro's are solid glass, yes?
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Douglas

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 20:34:25 »
That plastic will crack just looking at it.  The Euro's are solid glass, yes?

Correct, Michael. My advice is to be on the safe side and avoid playing any Memorex cassettes in your Becker Mexico cassette player. :-)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 21:47:33 »
My experience is that the European headlight glass covers are pretty crack-prone too  >:( Mine cracked pretty soon after installation...

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 22:16:44 »
Correct, Michael. My advice is to be on the safe side and avoid playing any Memorex cassettes in your Becker Mexico cassette player. :-)

It's only a Europa, no cassette!! ;)
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

igor111

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 09:20:13 »
I have imported my car from California to Croatia (Europe). It is not a w113, but it is a w111 coupe (220SE) with USA headlights. I strongly suggest USA version  of headlights over European (I have both). Maybe it is not so obvious in hot and dry climate like CA, but old European lights tend to get rusty and blury, esspecialy if they have to be turned on all the time while driving (like in Croatia). With USA lights You always have a new mirror, and it always shines like a new one. So I prefer USA version if we talk about function.

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 17:16:47 »
Regarding the thin plastic rim at the top of the US headlights, Gernold gave me the tip to put silicon caulking along the inside of that rim to lessen the potential for breakage.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

Sam SL

• Regular
  • Canada, British Columbia, Vancouver
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 09:23:23 »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330300451586#ht_500wt_1234

Check these ones out on ebay and look at the pictures of the same car, one with US and one with Euro lights.  You can be the judge.  I myself have had both versions and functionally speaking the Euro lights are brighter than all the US version lamps except for maybe the H4 halogens.  Yes, you have to make sure the light buckets are not dull/tarnished on the inside and the lens clear.  I also like how the Euro lights glow when you switch on just the parking lights.   As far as ease of blemishing, the US version takes the cake.  The plastic housing is almost always chipped, cracked, dull or all of the above.  I think the line of the car looks nicer with Euro lights and if the US federal laws were different, MB never would have put 7" round headlights on that car. 
Sam

'71 280 SL  -- Green Queen
82 300D
92 500E
97 SL500

m300cab

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, Pennington New Jersey
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 01:51:20 »
I vote Euro look!
Michael Parlato

jaymanek

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 08:10:40 »
My euro car has american lamps.. I found a crack on the "door" as its known in the USA. So have ordered a new bosch unit for around $300 delivered to the UK.
This will see me for a while but im also beginning to prefer the Euro lamps and so am after a set.. Although they are going for silly money! I dont think I could justify spending almost £1500 that most dealers want for a new set.

Once I have the headlamps, i just need to remove the front wing markers and my car will be euro again as it left the factory.

Dahlknudsen

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 11:28:29 »
In the beginning I liked the Eurolook most as it was how the car was intended.

Now that I have a US car, I think the car looks "happiere" with the US lights.

I would not change the look of a US car to a Euro. But I would change a Eurocar which have US headlights back to Eurolight.
I do believe that a car should look like what it is. Eiether a Euro or US spec car.

festeem

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 10:39:56 »
I noticed also last time, when I was for 5weeks holidays in the Netherlands, that both headlights
(American version) on my green 280 sl 1972 were cracked. Passengerside the whole plastic/glass
top is gone. Driverside is just cracked. Headlights are sealed beams.
I checked the site for spare parts http://www.pagodenteile.de/16.htm and if you have to replace
both it does cost you an arm and a leg.
Also during the 1200km testdriving in Holland I got stuck beside the highway. >:(
The automatic shifting rod came loose from the selector rod. The plastic bussing, which connects
these two components was complete integrated. We had to repair it with a plastic thin garden
hose and a tighrap. Anybody knows were I can get the plastic bushing. Thanks.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 07:02:27 »
Van Dijk, Lisserbroek sells the bushings. For details check our vendor list: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Suppliers/Start
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

jaymanek

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2010, 13:16:01 »
heres a pic for this thread as i changed mine to Euro today

« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 18:53:00 by jaymanek »