Author Topic: Interior codes, materials, & suppliers  (Read 7860 times)

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Interior codes, materials, & suppliers
« on: March 09, 2003, 17:45:01 »
Dear Rodd,

Two questions for you.  We both have cars with 219 (DB 1098 Natural Light)color leather.  I have located a source in Germany who has it.  I have a sample - it is a perfect match.  I am going to have several hides sent to GAHH to have it made into seat covers and door panels.  (If you need some leather let me know - we can order a batch together) I would also like to order carpet from GAHH at the same time.  I do not however have an original carpet sample for my car.  The matrix says color "Brown (6454)"  Our cars should have the same color carpet.  I saw the pictures of your car on Yahoo and your carpet looks original but more tan than brown.  Is it brown?

My second question is the soft top color codes.  Are they right ?  I ask because my car is painted 158 White Gray, with 219 leather interior.  My data card is coded 732 dark gray soft top?  The Matrix shows my soft top should be 872 - black.  My car was not optioned with a hardtop - only a softtop.  What do you think?   Rodd, also it looks like your carpet is bound in the 219 leather?

Thank You, - Richard 1964 230SL

Richard,

According to my data card, I have 124 Arabian Grey body, 158 white-gray hard top, and 219 (DB 1098 natural leather) interior.  Another person on the Yahoo! list with the 219 interior code in his car saw my digital photos and commented that my seat color looks like his.  I assume my carpets are original as they are the appropriate square weave in wool.  I do not have the owner history to be sure on any originality, only the opinions of experts who have seen my car.  I can take more digital photos of the car's interior in the garage and outside in the sunlight.  My wife and I just looked at the car and she agrees that the carpet and floor mats are "brown".  It's not a real dark brown, but definately darker than the natural leather and not tan.

Please let me know what kind of costs we may be looking at with regards to new seat material and door panels (and door arm rests).  What about the other leather parts (a-pillar trim, windshield header, dash board & instrument cover, soft top cover)?  I'm still in a the position of managing this classic car hobby on a shoestring budget, so I can only make one big investment per year.  I was thinking it might be the progressive rate springs if we can get the group discount.  If I do that, then next year I could get the shocks and all the rubber bushings & suspension kits.  All my rubber is hard & cracked.

As far as the color code matix goes, I would not rely on that too much for soft top colors.  I would assume that a customer could order any standard color soft top from the factory.  This type of customization would throw the concept of the color code matrix out the window, at least for soft tops.  If your data card says 732, I would just make certin that your source on the correcct color of 732 is accurate and go with it.

Finally, you ask "Rodd, also it looks like your carpet is bound in the 219 leather?"  I'm not sure what you mean to ask, could you please ask it a different way?

Thanks,

Rodd
1966 230SL Euro
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

n/a

Re: Interior codes, materials, & suppliers
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2003, 21:04:08 »
Rodd,

I need to resore my 1964 230SL from bumper to bumper.  The mechanicals are finished and the car is ready for paint.  So far so good.  For the past six weeks I have been trying to find "Natural Light - DB1098" (Data Card Code 219) leather.  Originality is my prime goal.  All of the well-known interior supply firms (GAHH, World, KHM, ...) sell interior leather kits - but not in the rarer colors.  Finally, I found  http://www.cut-lederservice.de/english/leathercare.htm  which has samples (standards) for older DB leather.  They sent me a sample and it is a perfect (color and texture) match to the leather in my glove box.  GAHH advised that they would be happy to use this leather from Germany and make an interior kit.  I like GAHH because their seat covers have a basket-weave pattern that looks original.  Their door panels are also hard to tell from original.  Extra leather needs to be ordered to cover the dash and other areas besides the seats and doors.

I noticed in the pictures of you car that your carpet looks as if it is bound or trimed at the edges with leather that matches the rest of your interior.  GAHH said that they can do this.  I think this is the factory original style.

With regard to carpet - our matrix shows "Brown 6454" as the correct color.  I have only been able to source a brown color that is a very dark brown.  The best carpet I have found is at http://www.gahh.com   Their brown is # 503 but again, it looks very dark compared to your carpet.  I may have to keep looking.

This is my interior retoration plan so far.  If anyone in our group has interior restoration sources for materials that they would like to share - or any tips - I would be very grateful.

- Richard   1964 230SL  

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2003, 11:22:15 »
Richard,
Hi.  My carpet is trimmed with brown material that I believe is leather.  The trim appears to match the floor mats.  I will take some pictures in the sunlight as weather permits, all the other pictures I've posted were taken in a closed garage.

Rodd
1966 230SL Euro
1994 E420
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon

ghenne

• Senior
  • Canada, ON, Toronto
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2003, 07:01:22 »
I also need a 219 interior. I currently have the same color in vinyl, which is totally unobtainable. I have a 1965 230SL.

The GAHH pattern is not perfect, but it's one of the better ones. My local upholstery shop is happy to install their stuff.

My direct email address is gh@nsbasic.com if you want to discuss ordering arrangements offline.

Anbody else want 219? Perhaps we can do better with a group order!

ghenne

• Senior
  • Canada, ON, Toronto
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2003, 05:32:33 »
I contacted Cut-lederservice.de, and was told they did not have 219 on file:

Sehr geehrter Herr George Henne,
leider ist die Nr. 219 nicht in unserem Archiv. Die Farbe Natur hatte
bei DB die Nr. 1068.
Vielleicht können Sie diese Nr. nochmals prüfen.
mfg
CUT Lederservice
Walter Geck

George Henne schrieb:

>Ich habe eine 1965 Mercedes 230SL. Ich bin interresiert mit ihrem #219
>Natur Leder.
>
>Koennen Sie mir ein Stueck schicken?

n/a

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2003, 09:39:46 »
George:

Use the DB color code which is 1098 (Natural Light).  The code on the data card is 219.  I am going to place an order at the end of this week.  I will e-mail cut-leader about a volume discount and advise you as to their response.

- Richard 1964 230SL

ghenne

• Senior
  • Canada, ON, Toronto
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2003, 13:51:40 »
Thank you! I've asked them to send me a sample of 1068 as well.

Let me know what they say about a discount.

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2003, 21:31:21 »
I am still interested in the 1098 Natural Leather as well.  I have no idea what the cost might be, and that is a major factor for me.

Rodd
1966 230SL Euro
1994 E420
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon

n/a

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2003, 13:43:23 »
George, Rodd and Group:

Walter Geck from cut-leader service has quoted me a price of 118 euro per square meter plus shipping.  GAHH has advised that 25-27 square meters are required to replace a complete interior for an SL with a jump seat with extra leather left over to bind the edge of a new carpet set to match.  No discount for large order.  What do you think of the price?

- Richard

ghenne

• Senior
  • Canada, ON, Toronto
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2003, 17:04:27 »
Did GAHH tell you how much it would cost to do their stuff to the leather?

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2003, 08:50:59 »
Richard & George,

That comes to about 3,100 Euros.  I am not in a position to spend that much money on the car right now.  Perhaps I will get with some experienced local leather workers and figure out how to make my material last longer.  I only have one tear in the seats, but a couple sections are quite worn. Also the stitching has come out in a few areas and all the seat pads need replaced.  At that price, even though it may be a good price, I'll be keeping my old leather for a while.

Thanks,

Rodd
1966 230SL Euro
1994 E420
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 12:40:05 »
As I read through this old thread, I wanted to note that there were two square weave shades of brown.  The lighter one has been discontinued and was correct for Cognac interiors, much to my chagrin!  It has more of the appearance of dark tan or burnt orange (or as my neighbor described it...sh_t brown.  The dark brown carpet (still available) is much deeper.  So, I have to decide if I want Dark Tan or Brown square weave.  The exterior color is 291 Dark Olive Green/soft top black.  I would prefer the Dark Tan but have to assure that the it doesn't clash with Cognac (which has a lot of orange in it!).  :oops:

What are your thoughts?  Dark Tan or Brown?

Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 18:46:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by JPMOSE

As I read through this old thread, I wanted to note that there were two square weave shades of brown.  The lighter one has been discontinued and was correct for Cognac interiors, much to my chagrin!  

According to their web site, GAHH still offers "light tan" square weave carpet.  I used this on my 65 230SL with cognac leather, and I think it looks very good.  Photos are accessible via http://sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=2585

Chris Earnest

hauser

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 19:36:04 »
FYI GAHH sells a very nice kit of materials they sell.  From leather to vinyl choices of carpet of the differents makes and models they have available.  If you can't find the right shade from the Mercedes leather samples you may find the perfect match from the Porche swatches.  I believe the kit sells for $50USD.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 07:42:03 »
Chris...your car is stunning!!!  What paint code is it...209, 226, 291?  It does look good with the light tan -- I think I have decided to go with the dark tan though (this is another month off).  I am replacing the original soft top next week as it doesn't make sense to try and stitch the material back to the window (cost prohibitive).  I told Ron's Restorations that I want the original top back for reference (for window markings, etc.)  I am sure there are very few cars left with original tops...I would hate to see it go (although it will probably sit in a box forever).

Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006, 15:11:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by JPMOSE

Chris...your car is stunning!!!  What paint code is it...209, 226, 291?  
I am replacing the original soft top next week

Thanks for the compliment!  The paint is dunkelgrün (268), which was the original color.  I've noticed that the color looks somewhat different with different lighting -- perhaps more than most colors.

Are you going with the original black for the new soft top?  Mine is also black with tan interior, but when I replace it I'm considering tan or maybe dark green, in either case with tan interior.  GAHH does carry tan/tan (and black/tan) but apparently not green/tan.  I think  http://www.pagode.info/ carries both combinations.

Chris