Author Topic: Sources for interior-only car cover ?  (Read 5416 times)

Douglas

Sources for interior-only car cover ?
« on: June 04, 2004, 22:14:31 »
I'm looking for a cover that just protects the interior of the car while the top is down. We had a thread on this awhile back, but the dealer is now out of business. Has anyone purchased one of these smaller covers recently?

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #018260

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Re: Sources for interior-only car cover ?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 03:16:43 »
Doug:

I think you are asking about a Cockpit Cover....

Here's the thread complete with photo. One of these covers was demonstrated at West Point 2004 but you were busy judging...

http://sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=566

Regards,

Richard M, 1971 Tobacco Brown with Cockpit Cover.
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

n/a

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 10:20:06 »
Hi Douglas:

I am actually working with friends that own a custom furniture factory to make a custom cockpit cover specifically for a 113.  You can see in the picture that Richard pointed you to that the 107 cover will go on a 113, but it doesn't really fit that well.  You can see that it doesn't completely cover the windshield.  One of the things that I really wanted is a cover was to protect the dash and wood trim on the dash from the sun.  It doesn't look like a cover designed for a 107 will protect these areas completely.  

In making cockpit covers, my friends will use material that is water, mildew and UV proof.  The covers will be made to go on your car with the windows rolled up or down.  They can get the material in a broad range of colors so you can get a cover in a choice of different colors.  Cost will be $159 plus shipping and handling.  They will require a 50% deposit by check (made out to Stanford Designs) when you place an order.

My friend made a cover for his Fiat.  I'll try to get a picture of his cover on his Fiat and post it.  We are also going to build a prototype for my '69 280SL.  We hope to have it done in the next few weeks.  Once we get the prototype done, I'll post a picture of my car with the cover on it.

Let me know if this sounds good.

Jeff

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 17:57:53 »
Here is a photo of the cockpit cover from Mercedes, about $50.

The cover goes over the entire windshield if installed correctly. It is held to the windshield by the wiper blades.

Richard M

Download Attachment: CockpitCvr.jpg
43.89 KB

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 19:03:43 »
Is the Mercedes cockpit cover waterproof?
Joe

n/a

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 19:00:55 »
Here is the picture of my friends Fiat with his first-generation canopy cover.  Hopefully, I'll have a picture of my 280 SL with a canopy cover in the next week or so.  Note that he made this cover to be used with the top up or down, the windows up or down.  The material that he uses is water proof, fade/UV proof and mildew proof.  Their price might sound high, but the material of this quality is expensive.

Download Attachment: Fiat Canopy Cover.jpg
33.36 KB

France

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 03:28:39 »
Guys,

Any competent seamstress (seamster?) could make one of these using Sunbrella (R) (note that I respect registered trademarks!) which is what the professionals use to make outdoor soft furniture and shades.  You would use the same procedure as to make a fitted chair "dress."  It also works great for large roll-around BBQs--  
I made one for mine.  

The problem is, on a publicly parked car, how do you keep someone from stealing your wonderful creation??  I suppose you could lace it on underneath the top and roll up your windows...

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal/bl leather, auto
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 03:31:37 by France »
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 13:04:10 »
To prevent the cover from "walking away", the Mercedes cockpit cover has three tabs with thickened ends that fit in the channel under the closed truck lid.

Richard M

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 18:08:43 »
Douglas:
Why not just cover the car with a light weight summer car cover from cover craft in California.

Bob Geco